Hobby Boss M4A3

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Jakko, Jim, Si, Fernando and Colin! Back from the car show, where I was pleasantly surprised to be awarded a trophy and a bottle of champagne for "Best car 1961 - 1999"! I thought there were better ones there, but who am I to argue with the judges?
Thanks for all the suggestions. The colour at the moment is Vallejo Olive Drab primer. Needs a touch up in a couple of places but I might just use the same paint, if the airbrush will behave. I'm having second thoughts about it being the needle/nozzle not seating together - symptoms are that if I depress the button without pulling it back, so I'm blasting just air, it bubbles back into the paint cup. Could this be a problem one of the seals buried deep in the airbrush? It's an H & S Infinity CR Plus.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, the airbrush problem turned out to be the seal behind the nozzle not properly seated, so normal service has now been resumed! Main hull and turret have now been painted (using the Vallejo OD primer), tools, stowage and a few small external parts are in the paint booth for a touch-up. Road wheels have had the rubber rims painted.
P1140477.JPG
Incidentally, the inverted hull is sitting on a disposable shot glass, which fitted perfectly into the turret ring and made a very convenient hand hold so I could paint both top and bottom without waiting for the paint to dry.
The gap along the hull side sponson doesn't look quite that bad in real life. I might just fill it with some mud. I haven't made up my mind how to paint the tracks, since it seems that M4 Shermans could have had solid rubber tracks, rubber with steel chevrons, or all steel. I'm favouring all steel, so I can play with rust effects. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Decals are included for "Classy Peg", but that should have the spoked road wheels, which are included in the kit, but I fitted the disc wheels, so it'll just be a 'generic' Sherman with white stars on the hull and turret.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Now with tools added, clear coat, and decals:
P1140478.JPG
The 'Bad News' decal isn't shown in the instructions, and I couldn't find any pictures of the original to tell me I'd fitted the wrong wheels/whatever, so that's what the tank/tamk is now named! Still haven't decided on the colour for the tracks, but I thinl I'll be weathering soon!

Pete

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
For the TR4 or another classic? The spotlight is almost always modeled lens down in stowed position so maybe source of model makers' confusion/no lens. Tracks are always tough. Looks good so far.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It's a TR4A Paul, the only classic I have now.
Yes, many photos show the spotlight stowed pointing down, but this one isn't so I'll have to make a lens.

Pete

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Never worked on an A. Any synchros in trans?

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Congrats on the award Peter and good to read the AB issue was minor.:thumb2:
Looks nicely clean with the decals and tools on, any weathering planned?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Congrats on the award Peter and good to read the AB issue was minor.:thumb2:
Looks nicely clean with the decals and tools on, any weathering planned?
Thanks Fernando. I think it's time I tried weathering. I'll need dome Microsol on the decals first, then I'll seal them and try some pigments.

Pete

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just what the little 4banger needed, a decent trans. Sometimes you see more than the judges. Especially if your make/model is a favorite. PaulE

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A terrific build Peter. I wish you all the best with the weathering.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Steve. Slowed down by visiting family, but hope to get some done later.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Haven't posted any progress for a while, but I've been trying some of this weathering stuff. Can't decide whether to slap a bit more on before the matt coat. Any thoughts?
P1140481.JPGP1140482.JPGP1140483.JPGP1140484.JPGP1140485.JPGP1140486.JPG

Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete.
Looking good, clean build.
I suppose you could do a pin wash, that would give some definition, think it would set it off well before the sealing coat. Did you sort out the AB problem by the way, I have 2 H& S ab's ultra and the infinity. On the ultra I have had the same issue. Air , bubbles from the paint and nothing..Think in my case it was a small lump of hardened paint. Now I use the Vallejo flow improver I have not had any major problems, using a .2 needle .
John .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks John, I'll try another wash.
I'd thought the flexible Hycote primer I'd used on the tracks would stay on, but it doesn't.

Yes, the airbrush is sorted now. I'd taken the PTFE seal off the back of the nozzle for a good clean, and put it back the wrong way round! Shouldn't make a difference I suppose, but it did. I'm using the .2 needle as well.

Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John, I'll try another wash.
I'd thought the flexible Hycote primer I'd used on the tracks would stay on, but it doesn't.

Yes, the airbrush is sorted now. I'd taken the PTFE seal off the back of the nozzle for a good clean, and put it back the wrong way round! Shouldn't make a difference I suppose, but it did. I'm using the .2 needle as well.

Pete
Wow , I've never dared touch those seals, I know you can get spares, so good for you. I had to replace a nozzle this week , I had broken a bit out of the tip ! Bet its my bent cleaning tool , must sort it .
Don't know anything about the Hycote primer, I just use a normal one, on rubber , plastic or ally. Was it recommended for those flexible tracks.
John .

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Wow , I've never dared touch those seals
I think you misunderstood me John, I meant the one that's fitted to the back of the nozzle and comes out with it when you remove the nozzle. I had some dried paint around it so took it off to give it and the outside of the nozzle a really good clean.
The Hycote primer is for the plastic bumpers of modern 1:1s. I saw it at an autojumble and thought it worth a try. It seemed quite flexible until I put a coat of Tamiya red-brown on, then it started flaking when the tracks were flexed. I brushed the Tamiya, maybe an airbrushed coat would have been thinner and more flexible.
Just had a thought - there are additives for car paint to make them more flexible, for bumpers etc. - I must keep a look out for some, and see if it works with acrylics.

Pete

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The star on the turret is in the Canadian position while the rest are in the American position :smiling3: