HobbyBoss 1/72 F.4 Sabre RAF Cold war jets part I

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This will be the first aircraft in what I hope will be 7 RAF aircraft, from just post-war to the early 60's ( pre Phantom ).
hobbyboss sabre.jpg
I know this is the wrong variant for the Canadair Sabres supplied to the RAF, but I'm overlooking that!
Some 430 Sabres served with the RAF from early 1953 to mid 1956 - They were supplied as the existing RAF Vampires & Meteors were outdated, the replacement aircraft - Swifts & Hunters were well behind schedule. In 1956 the Sabres were passed on to other NATO countries................
For those who haven't seen a HobbyBoss Easy Assembly model - they are moulded in as few parts as possible.
DSCF2289.JPG
DSCF2292.JPG
The fit of these models is very good, in fact dry fitting isn't good, as once you've got them together, they can be very difficult to get apart. Of course the internal detail suffers, but the canopy is pretty small, and if I can find a suitable pilot that will help. There is recessed panel lines, and the parts show no flash and no ejector pin marks.
DSCF2296.JPGDSCF2297.JPG
As you can see, the instructions are brief, and the colour variants are radically different from each other.
DSCF2294.JPG
The large decal sheet is now redundant, and will be replaced by XB770 markings from the Freightdog Models 720045
DSCF2295.JPG
Only a very simple model, but it looks very nice for what is a model aimed at the beginner..............
I'll put up some detail shots tomorrow, the flash on my camera isn't up to macro shots!
I'll hopefully be building this in tandem with my Sd.kfz.7, which has been on the back burner for a while, due to my hand, which is now fast recovering!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting model Dave. I’m impressed with the one piece fuselage. Just out of interest, do you know why decal makes don’t print the red centre in the roundels? They print the tail flash in one piece, so why not the roundel?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Interesting model Dave. I’m impressed with the one piece fuselage. Just out of interest, do you know why decal makes don’t print the red centre in the roundels? They print the tail flash in one piece, so why not the roundel?
Tim,
I assume it's an alignment problem with a particular process - it does seem to be more common with aftermarket decals, so maybe it's a cheaper process ( or more labour intensive? ). Just increases the work for the modeller..............
Dave
p.s. I have about 4 or 5 of the HB easy assembly models in the stash - the Hawker Typhoon is particularly good

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Just out of interest, do you know why decal makes don’t print the red centre in the roundels? They print the tail flash in one piece, so why not the roundel?
I suspect, like Dave also says, it’s the difficulty in aligning them. Concentric circles like the roundels are very obviously not centred if you get them even slightly wrong, but the same amount of error is nowhere near as visible with side-by-side rectangles like on the tail flash.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's some going Dave , how many models on the go ?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Some detail shots
DSCF2308.JPG
Wheel well detail - the wells are quite deep............
DSCF2309.JPGDSCF2315.JPG
Panel lines are quite good, but in 1/72 may be lost under paint.
DSCF2310.JPG
Air brake wells
DSCF2316.JPG

DSCF2312.JPGDSCF2313.JPG

DSCF2311.JPG
Possibly the only visual pointer to this being an easy assembly model are the slots either side of the cockpit
- the canopy has tabs to match - I'll see how that looks, it may need a bit of surgery.
DSCF2317.JPG
I found this poor fella in my spares box - obviously adapted for another aircraft, either rejected, or salvaged!
DSCF2319.JPG

These models have surprising detail - but you can get them together very quickly, and onto the painting stage without any bother. I've looked, and prices can vary from just over £6 to £10 ( +p&p ). loads of planes to choose from, obviously the normal popular types, spitfire, hurricane, bf 109, fw 190, mustang, thunderbolt etc etc, but some unusual types. There are more expensive HB quick assembly models ie F-14 Tomcat at £20+, but I reckon that's too high, for what is a simple model ( bit that's just me! )
This was the first HobbyBoss easy build model, I made - the Mitsubishi A5M2 back in 2019
P1060430.JPG
I've made a few more since & have several in the stash! Some of the decal choices are a bit run-of-the-mill, but sets of AM decals would really liven them up!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s a Matchbox figure with the legs cut off — the position of his hands is a dead giveaway :smiling3:

• Wow

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
They look like very nice, 'no drama' builds.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
These are the 3D printed 1/72 jet pilots I picked up from ebay.......................
DSCF2322.JPG

With a bit of clean up & a few minutes painting...............................
DSCF2328.JPG
They need a bit of touching up, but in 1/72 you ain't going to see a lot when they're in the cockpit.
I have two left, who are probably going to be the crew for the two-seater Lightning
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After about 20 minutes, and a bit of paint on the cockpit interior......................
DSCF2336.JPGDSCF2337.JPG
The airbrakes are designed to be fitted open, but that would mean a tricky cutting job on the decals, so they have been fitted flush ( and the centreline u/c doors will be closed). The fit is perfect, and all you need is to run TET around the joints. The tailplane isn't glued - they clicked to the fuselage so firmly, I haven't bothered!
The decal variant has this with PRU blue undersides & the grey/green camouflage uppers.
I found another potential candidate for RAF Cold War Fighters in the stash, but it never was in service.........sh airacomet.jpg
This may be tacked on at the end of my original line-up
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No pictures today - I've brush painted the underside with Humbrol Acrylic PRU Blue, masked up & brush painted the uppers with the basecoat of MiG Ammo BS. 638 Grey - the BS 641 Green ( again Mig Ammo ) camo will go over this. All the little bits are painted ( wheels etc ) & await fitting. These Sabres seem to have been finished in a gloss finish, so that will be ideal for the decals. Varnish drying time will push the finish back, otherwise it would be finished tomorrow! The version is from No. 4 Squadron RAF Jever, German 1954.
I'm wondering which of the models in my project to go for next, - l'm looking at either the Xtrakit Meteor FR.8 - or the Sword Lightning T4, there are some nice colour schemes on both.......
Dave