HobbyBoss 1/72 MiG-3 Easy Assembly

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I enjoyed the Warhawk so much, that I thought I'd slip another Easy Assembly model in & blog it - although it will be short, I hope to show the fit achieved in these models.................
HB Mig-3.jpg
Sprue shots tomorrow!! ( and probably the complete build! )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This how it comes, in the box
DSCF2971.JPG
Sprue shots
DSCF2972.JPGDSCF2980.JPG
You have the option of an open, or closed cockpit - with a lack of detail, I think closed, with a pilot will do
Decals
DSCF2970.JPG
Instructions - glossy paper A4 Folded - clear enough, the colour profiles could be a bit bigger..................
front.jpginstructions.jpgcolour profiles.jpg
A few detail shots
DSCF2973.JPGDSCF2974.JPGDSCF2975.JPG
Large mating pins for correct alignmentDSCF2977.JPG
Stabiliser tabs are different sizes, so you can't fit them wrongly..................
DSCF2976.JPG
DSCF2978.JPGDSCF2979.JPG
Tiny little rockets and racks
Assembly will begin shortly.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Here's the result of 10 minutes work - it would have been quicker, but I was taking pictures.
DSCF2981.JPG
The wings & fuselage lined up.............................
DSCF2982.JPGDSCF2983.JPG
....................and pressed together - I wicked a little Tamiya Extra Thin into the joint.
DSCF2984.JPG
I just put TET into the joint, before pressing it together - so far, these are all loose parts!
DSCF2985.JPGDSCF2986.JPG
The stabilisers ingate was on the locating tab - so just a snip with the cutters & pressed together, with TET
The only part that I had to trim was the ingates on the nose air intakes - again these have locating pins that ensure you can't fit them wrongly.
I'll just go round with some fine emery paper, before priming - as I'm doing the all-white version, so a quick session with the airbrush is in order. I've found a suitable pilot to fill the cockpit gap.......................
Dave
ps I realy should have timed myself, to see how much ( or little ) time this takes!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Certainly coming along quickly Dave. Looks good in both design and level of detail. Must be nice to not have to deal with the fuselage seam as well.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Looks good. Is the "easy assembly" aspect the parts count or the way it is constructed?
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
Looks good. Is the "easy assembly" aspect the parts count or the way it is constructed?
Jim
Jim,
It's both - the design is such that if it can be moulded in one piece it is, and the locating pegs are of a size to give positive mating - as far as I can tell it is original, I can't see any relationship with any other makers' model. I's not quite 'click together' but you only use a minimum of glue.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
With the two of these Hobby Boss kits I built, I’ve found that you have to be careful dry-fitting the fuselage to the wings, because chances are they won’t come apart anymore if you press them too far. The other parts are generally not “click together”, though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
With the two of these Hobby Boss kits I built, I’ve found that you have to be careful dry-fitting the fuselage to the wings, because chances are they won’t come apart anymore if you press them too far. The other parts are generally not “click together”, though.
Jakko,
the Mig doesn't have anything inside to worry about - the cockpit is all enclosed in the upper half, so I was able to assemble, without having to paint anything. I've primed & given the first coat of white & I'll let it dry overnight & see what it looks like in the morning light.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Overall white, then a coat of gloss varnish. I had a bit of brain fade & started to weather the tail before putting on the decals..................................
DSCF2987.JPG
The arrows on the fuselage are a bit of a pig to fit - they have a slot for the exhaust stubs to fit in, & I elected to fit the decals first - another occasion where a third hand would have been useful. A suitable pilot has been added & the rest of the bits painted ready for fitting. The canopy needs a bit of cleaning up, I painted the framing without masks, so a cocktail stick will be wielded to remove surplus paint. I reckon the next pictures will be in the 'completed' section
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No 'angin' about 'ere! Regular production line. This must have been a real joy to build Dave, amazing what nice close tolerances can do to keep ones blood pressure under control. :smiling: Rick H.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looks really good Dave :thumb2:

These would be great for new or returning modellers to cut their teeth on.

Geoff.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks really good Dave :thumb2:

These would be great for new or returning modellers to cut their teeth on.

Geoff.
Geoff,
yes indeed - or as a 'palette cleanser' for a modeller who needs a pause from a difficult, or stalled build.
You know the bits are going to fit! - stress free modelling
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Amazingly detailed for a kit aimed at the less experienced. You must be pleased with the result after your forced absence from the bench
Jim

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Coming on a treat Dave.