Holding parts for painting

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I having some issues holding onto the parts so they can be brush or spray painted. I am using blu tactics pressed into the part then a crocodile clip into the blutac.

20220628_163616.jpg
As you can it all starts to wobble!! I have heard of drilling into a ships boat, but noway with these

How do you do it, please??

Ta bob

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I do that as well but in this warm weather... meh the blue tac gets to soft.
For small parts, I use wooden cocktail sticks and a dab of CA glue INSIDE the part where it will not be seen.
For larger parts I have used regular poly glue and stuck them on a heavy sprue/runner. (plenty of those normally).
Very small parts get a hole drilled into the bottom and then a cocktail stick. Bamboo BBQ skewers are quite handy to have as well.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I do that as well but in this warm weather... meh the blue tac gets to soft.
For small parts, I use wooden cocktail sticks and a dab of CA glue INSIDE the part where it will not be seen.
For larger parts I have used regular poly glue and stuck them on a heavy sprue/runner. (plenty of those normally).
Very small parts get a hole drilled into the bottom and then a cocktail stick. Bamboo BBQ skewers are quite handy to have as well.
Thank you Ian, appreciated
What Ian says plus where appropriate, double sided tape on a lollipop stick.
Many thanks Barry

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
Personally I use left over sprues then using a drop of CA stick it to part where it wont be seen ie inside or underneath. If you only use a small drop it should be enough to hold it but will snap cleanly off when finished.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
Personally I use left over sprues then using a drop of CA stick it to part where it wont be seen ie inside or underneath. If you only use a small drop it should be enough to hold it but will snap cleanly off when finished.
Thanks Paul, appreciated

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You can also use the same method you've shown. The problem with the crocodile clip is that it does not have much surface area for the BluTac to grip. Try using a coffee stirrer or lollipop stick instead.

First Name
Andy
I tend to melt the end of a bit of sprue with a cigarette lighter then stick it on a part that will not be seen, easy to remove with just a twist. For non-smokers other flame generating devices are available. :smiling5:

Andy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You can also use the same method you've shown. The problem with the crocodile clip is that it does not have much surface area for the BluTac to grip. Try using a coffee stirrer or lollipop stick instead.
Plus one on this. Also use cocktail sticks or various small wooden blocks to mount parts for painting. I’ve got half a drawer of various small off cuts and sticks….Wood grips the blue tack much better than plastic because of its surface texture. The common factor here though is blue tack. Best modelling tool ever! Just remember that if you get it into locating pin holes you’ve got to get it out again afterwards……

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Coffee stirrers and Blu-tac works well. I use those smooth jawed crocodile clips fitted to a cocktail stick. The smooth jaws don't mark the plastic. HERE I stick the sticks in a lump of foam.
Here are both ideas
P1060060.JPG
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I drill a 0.3mm hole somewhere out of sight and insert a short length of piano wire, which is then gripped by the crocodile clip.
Or whittle the end of a piece of sprue to a point and glue with TET or ca