Holocaust Model 1:160 scale

First Name
Andrew
The Holocaust is a taboo subject for many and I have attempted to display this model as sensitively as I can. About seven years ago I was given the 1:160 scale painted figures and cattle trucks, along with some other parts which I have chosen not to use. I have concentrated on the transportation into a camp of many families, mainly Jewish. How could a nation be so brainwashed into believing that fellow humans are in some way inferior and how sad that people could be treated like this?

Somebody many years ago was making a model of a concentration camp and became too ill to complete it. The salvaged parts were then passed on to a series of friends until they finally reached me. I have contemplated how to display them, with the sole idea of educating that a tragedy like the Holocaust should be remembered and learnt about so that it is never repeated. Sadly, we live in a world where greed and mistrust still multiply. The innocent are still caught and suffer in the irrupting wars. Every country has disturbing parts of its history, so I am not trying to target one group or nation as evil. Although Nazi teaching about certain groups is disgusting, nations like my own (England) have a bad past too. Britain created concentration camps for the Boer peoples of South Africa in an effort to control the guerrilla war which was taking place. We were imposing our rule over peoples who were hostile to us, but our imperial dominance forced our control over them. This should never happen in the present day, but sadly recent news shows that it does. Please learn from history and don’t repeat it!

I am sorry if this model disturbs you, but it should!

DSCN3707 (2).JPGDSCN3727 (2).JPGDSCN3729 (2).JPGDSCN3714.JPGDSCN3720.JPGDSCN3721.JPGDSCN3723.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Very well put together. I saw the Holocaust displays at the IWM a few years ago - a very memorable and sobering experience.
History should never be distorted or altered or hidden. Some is hard to hear but burying our heads in the sand is unacceptable.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
First I must give an explanation of my “like”. My ”angry” icon isn’t for you, or for your depiction of historic events, it’s simply to show my feelings towards the actual events themselves. I agree history should be brought to the attention of all, and modelling is one way to do it. I won’t comment on the modelling skill you’ve shown because in this case it’s immaterial.

I also remember one very moving vignette on the old MM site. It poignantly illustrated these terrible events with just an empty box car surrounded by discarded personal possessions. I think it was by Simon Hammerton.

I have also seen the IWM display, and was struck by the whole presentation. Even the angle of the walls seemed to be designed to make you feel unbalanced and disconcerted by the events you were witnessing by proxy.

All of these displays, including yours, successfully illustrate these terrible events without transgressing the bounds of taste or enraging personal sensibilities. Well done!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A truly remarkable model of the horrors that took place Andy.

Having stood in the grounds of Bergen Belsen where you find your self wondering how man could do this to fellow humans.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've been to a fair few of the camps/memorials. Sobibor, Dachau, Treblinka and Auschwitz stick in the mind.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I like what you've done, history is history good or bad and this represents a terrible part of it and shouldn't be brushed aside for fear of upsetting or offending someone.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

That's very poignant indeed.

Like John I've been too Bergen-Belsen. I will never forget the eery silence that greeted me as I crossed the line of double bricks in the ground to mark where the fence line had originally been.

Very well done.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I bought a string of "Death Camp" box cars a while back.....as I was considering doing a similar scene in 1/87 scale only much more compressed. I think you have captured the mood but it still seems a little "Tame" in my opinion. I applaud your efforts Andy and I am glad you did not shy away from the Truth.....This Must Not Happen Again!

First Name
Andrew
I bought a string of "Death Camp" box cars a while back.....as I was considering doing a similar scene in 1/87 scale only much more compressed. I think you have captured the mood but it still seems a little "Tame" in my opinion. I applaud your efforts Andy and I am glad you did not shy away from the Truth.....This Must Not Happen Again!
I’ve tried to be sensitive as I arranged the figures. If you look closely there are confrontations - arguing over having cases removed and someone being forced to abandon a loved one in a carriage. There’s even someone being dragged by guards along the platform. It’s not all ‘tame.’
Thanks Rick. Do your model too.
Andy

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Having had a friend who's family were able to get out of Germany ahead of it, this hasn't ever been a 'forbidden' subject in our household, just a fact of life.