"Hornet, we're going in!"...Airfix 1/72 Devastator TBD-1

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
On the 4th June 1942, 15 obsolete American Devastator Torpedo bombers of VT-8, took off from the carrier Hornet to attack the Japanese fleet...All were shot down by Japenese fighters before reaching their target......

Here I've tried to capture a ditching of one of those aircraft.

The pilot has climbed out of his cockpit and is trying to help his two crewmen. Unfortunately, neither survived the enemy attack.

The pilot's name is Ensign George Gay - He will be rescued the following day, the only survivor out of 45 airmen who set off from their carrier.

The dio. base is polystyrene. I dug the aircraft into it, then layed a piece of plastic collar stiffener where I wanted the dipped wing to show through and covered the base with polyfilla.

I painted the 'water' with different shades of blue and green' then added the silicone to form the waves, drips and stuff.

Naff canopies....forgot to finish off!!

View attachment 74765

View attachment 74766

View attachment 74767

View attachment 74768

View attachment 74769

View attachment 74770

View attachment 74771

View attachment 74772

View attachment 74773

View attachment 74774

View attachment 74764

I hope you like it and all comments amd suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Ron

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 007.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 012.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 013.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 014.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 015.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 019.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 010.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 020.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 024.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 025.jpg

I'm going in! DevastatorTBD-1 027.jpg

B

Bari

Really good, some excellent photos as well especially the last one, looks very realistic.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Wow, what a superb dio, very dramatic pictures the sky sets of the scene superbly. This is excellent Ron in all aspects, great build and very much impressed by the quality of the work.

Just wish my sea worked as good as yours...:oops:

Si...just about speechless!

C

CDW

Well I though "briliant" as per usual, showed Elaine the pictures and she said "that's fantastic who did that?" so I just scrolled up to your avatar which was met by "oh it was Ron, should have guessed really eh"

Have a great build doodab from us.

Nuff said!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Stunning build , stunning photography ,its absolutely fantastic! The water effect is brilliant ,and the pics look totally real . great build matey ., cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm Comments and Suggestions welcome:

Comment: Fantastic result. you have captured the moment perfectly. it could just of easily been a Photograph.

Suggestions: put it in a contest, and win some gongs! Seriously good snapshot in time.

Go drink a well earned ale.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just got back from sitting on Santa's knee....Ho, Ho, Ho!....and I've just read the posts on my model.....

Thanks ever so much for the terrific response - complimentary and humorous in equal measures!

I'm well chuffed you like the end result.

Colin (CDW), a special mention to Elaine...If we can get a commendation from the fairer sex, then that is praise indeed!

Thanks again everyone.....

First Name
Andy
Hi Ron,

With both this one from your good-self and Colin's Tractor recovery my head and eyes are about to pop...

I think Ian's comment sums this one up the best, all I can add is stunning...

Andy...

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've been trying to put into words how I feel about this and all I can come up with is ...............

Stunning !

W

Willi262

I think if you set a black and white or sepia filter, your pictures would look historical.

I can almost hear the waves sloshing around...

B

Bunkerbarge

I don't think I have ever seen a water based diorama where the water is translucent and the model shows through the water, It looks absolutely superb and incredibly realistic. I can't believe how well it works and why we have never seen it before now. The water sloshing over the front of the aircraft just looks perfect and the submerged wing looks so realistic I can't believe it.

Stunning diorama, yet again showing us just what can be done with imagination and a willingness to try out new ideas.