You're a dab hand with water Ron,absolutely superb,as I recall was your PT boat

pleasure to see your work. John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
You're a dab hand with water Ron,absolutely superb,as I recall was your PT boatpleasure to see your work. John
Thanks John, glad you like this and the P.T. boat.....That was a while ago wasn't it?....and was my first stab working with silicone. It's great stuff, fun to use and to attempt different effects...

W

Willi262

My wife and I agree, the water effect really sells it.

Some modellers don't have much flair when it comes to simulated wave action, but this looks like a greedy ocean, about to swallow an unlucky arrival...

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Amazing work Ron, this turned out nicely indeed. Great build. Loving the sea!

1275GT

That's just amazing stuff, I doff my cap to you, sir ! Out of interest, what paints did you use on the water and/or silicone? I've had an idea of a dio kicking around for a while, and this may have given me the nessesary inspiration :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great post Neil.

The paints are children's 'Pound Shop' sort of stuff - The acrylic ones in the small metal tubes. I wasn't going to waste my good paints on a relatively large area. The base would probably look near enough the same which ever paints I used....so cheap is good!

I just painted the base with these using different shades of blues and greens. Then added the silicone. There is no paint on the silicone...the colours just shine through.....magic like!

I hope this helps, and gives you that bit more inspiration to have a go.....

Cheers,

Ron

1275GT

Thanks, Ron, I'll have a wander into my local pound-place next time I'm passing and see what I can find. Only trouble is if I start waving pollyfilla about, SWMBO's gonna find me a few jobs to do.......

Cheers, Neil

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Glad to be of help Neil. Any cheap water colour acrylics work, it doesn't have to be the ones in the tubes. I just find that type nice and thick........

First Name
rob
brilliant.thats class mate. ive a feeling that dio is gonna be copied real soon. this is on par with poluxs midnight train dio which is just fantastic......stunning work my son!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Rob.....to put this anywhere near on a par with our good friend Polux's superb diorama is praise indeed.....

Cheers,

Ron

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Amazing water ,brill dio ......have been going through all old dio posts last few days as i am about to start first dio using 1 72 dora and must say i havenot seen water as good as that .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to see this rising from the depths.....See what I wrote then?!

Thanks for the compliment bazers, I glad you like it.

Good luck with the dora and keep us posted on the progress..

Ron

Z

Ziper_it

Excellent results, very realistic. Couldn't explain to myself how the photo of the real action was in color, the I realized it was a photo of the dio.

Francesco

First Name
Richard
Hi Ron,

just found the time to read a little backwards in the forum (so much going on at the moment) and found this.

WOW and then all of the above, I could repeat those word the others have said but I do not!

I love the way and the skills you have of creating a dramatic, authentic scene and the use of materials you use to create that realistic water.

The pictures are great.

Well done Ron, always a treat to be able to watch your work.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Richi

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the excellent posts on this boys.....It's always a nice bonus when we are lucky enough to have our models resurrected, isn't it?

Thanks again,

Ron

First Name
Aaron
Wow...i thought it was a photo when i saw the first pic...fantastic.

W

Willi262

I think the B&W photo captures an emotional essence as well. The pilot survived, and before the plane sinks he must check on the other 2 crew. Hoping they are alive and possibly just unconscious, albeit, badly hurt, he then discovers to his sinking horror (much like the plane) that they are dead. The shot looks like it could have been captured by a crewman on a rescue boat, on the way in to make a pick up...