How do I use my compressor lol

D

Dell8021

Hi everyone.

got fed up buying aerosols for my airbrush and my wife kindly bought me a compressor- http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Y4J252/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00[h=1]Mini Airbrush Compressor Kit - AS18-2 Kit 1[/h]

This is going to sound really stupid- but- the instructions are to say the least, a wee bit funny and a bit difficult to work out if you have never used a compressor before. Am I right in thinking that once the compressor reaches the maximum pressure, you then switch it of and use your airgun, and once pressure decreases etc you switch it back on again??? Or am I completely wrong.

And when you finish using it do you then let all the pressure out.

Please help :rolleyes:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Dell and welcome to the forum the compressor you have you switch it on then it pumps to the pressure set on the dial then switches itself off untill you use it then it turns back on untill you stop spraying and its built the pressure back up then swithes off again so no need to keep switching it on and off hope this helps

D

Dell8021

Thank you papa 695. Can I ask what pressure you recommend for spraying and do you let all the pressure out when you finish- sorry for silly questions but first time with a compressor

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No problems there's no silly questions but the pressure depends on what your spraying and how thin or thick it is but to start off using unthined acrylic paint around 20 psi best ting to do is get some paper or cardboard set up the compressor and just spray strait lines and practice different pressures untill you get used to it have fun

Yes when you have finished totaly switch it off and let the pressure out

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not realy you would just blow the paint off what your trying to spray and end up with one messy spay station

D

Dell8021

lol ok thanks for the help going to play now will let you know how it goes cheers

T

tecdes

If you could describe the type paint your are using & the manufacturer then those who have experience can give a more accurate answer Dell.

There is also the matter of thinning the paint which some one will give if we have the info.

Laurie

D

Dell8021

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your help. the paints I am using is the Vallejo Model Air paints. I went up and 'played' with the compressor last night and had great fun but I think I had the pressure too high and need to adjust the psi to get it better- so will try that today. I thinned the paint by roughly 3:1 ratio and I am happy with the effect of the paint- just need to sort the pressure out. So glad I managed to get round to getting the compressor and as my wife said it will probably pay for itself after 10 uses as I was going through so many cans of pressure a time lol. thanks everyone and all advice is more than welcome

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Dell ( not knowing your full name ) glad you are having fun its just practice now and hope to see some of your builds soon. I'm sure more members will give you some tips/advice along the way

P

phalinmegob

dont forget to change the pressure on this model you have to pull the knob UP and then twist. i found that out on this forum as it does not mention it in the destructions