How do you spread your filler

D

Doggy

I was wondering if such a thing as a mini spatula exsisted. I find spreading the filler can be messy and result in lots of sanding. So how do you spread your filler? I'm using Revell stuff and it's ok, but whats the best filler?

Thanks.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I use something similar to these Glue Spreaders x 20 Plastic Craft Adhesive Paste PVA Spreader Spatula uk made | eBay ,actually mine is a spreader from a tub of car body filler cut in half lengthways , but it looks very similar to these . Maybe these could be sold in the shop John? tony

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I got my spatula from my LMS which is actually an art shop, sells all sorts of goodies. It was about 20p and looks like the glue spreader I used as a kid for PVA glue. It's made of soft, white plastic but does the job. My filler of choice is squadron putty, you can remove any excess with acetone and a cotton bud.

Tony.

D

Doggy

Thanks guys. So you won't have much sanding at all mossie?

I'll have a browse around hobby craft. I have access to the cataloy spreaders you have cut up, I might give that a go too.

D

Doggy

I just bought some glue spreaders, its only pennies and worth a look.

P

phalinmegob

a helpfull tip if your filling a long thin line is to mask off with tape just either side of the bit that needs filling, then fill as usual. then take off the tape and and you have a nice thin line off filler to sand with not much mess

T

tecdes

Amazon.co.uk: clay modeling tools

Doggy. Got a set of these & you can get into nooks & crannies etc & shape the filler.

Laurie

A

andygh

Same as Laurie, the wax carving tools are useful for loads of jobs

D

Doggy

\ said:
Amazon.co.uk: clay modeling toolsDoggy. Got a set of these & you can get into nooks & crannies etc & shape the filler.

Laurie
What ones? The steel ones or the blue plastic?

C

CDW

I use a Pallette knife (designed for painting oils on canvass)

I use the smallest one in this line-up for modeling .... they're very supple and give a smooth finish.

The other styles in the line up live in my archaeology kit as they're perfect for the small delicate jobs

View attachment 57217

View attachment 59187

palette-knife.jpg

C

CDW

I bought mine from Hobbycraft mate, though i suppose you could get a good deal on ebay as they're not cheap

here's the link for hobbycraft..... and i recommend that you get the Winsor and Newton stuff as it's very well made. (i had a cheapo one once and the plating came off after a while and the metal cracked/split)

Hobbycraft | Craft Shop, Art Supplies

T

tecdes

\ said:
What ones? The steel ones or the blue plastic?
The metal ones which are stainless steel. Suspect they are finer than the plastic & also easier to remove dried filler.

Used them for sanding by pushing a small piece of wet & dry into difficult parts. Found them very handy things.

Laurie