How I Scratch Build A Ruined Building.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4539
  • Start date
L

liberator61

When you look how your building started off to were it is now you'd never guess how it was put together keep up the good work sir, its better than watching Blue Peter,(remember when they used to make allsorts with sticky back plastic or is that me just showing my age.)

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
I,m enjoying see how you do it,as I can always pickup some tips and tricks,
as you go along, :smiling3:

I do my tiles,1.5 mm T x 12mm W x 15mm L, and over lap by 5mm,:rolleyes:
Thanks Monica,I can't remember the size of tiles I used for the last building I did but they are near the measurements you use.I have some left over,I'll have to get them out of my bits box.

\ said:
What, no wallpaper :D Loving this project Ralph.
Thanks Graham,glad you are liking it.I thought as I did wallpaper on the last one I would have paint on this one.

\ said:
Looking so good and to say few would think of this ( I'm really thinking of building a building now.
Need to do the calculations to make in 1/35.

Love the beam work and wall covering.

Really nice

Thanks Robert,I'm glad it's making you think of doing one for yourself.

The calculations you need for 1/35 are 9mm to the foot,so a standard 6 foot door would be 54mm high.

Robert

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
When you look how your building started off to were it is now you'd never guess how it was put together keep up the good work sir, its better than watching Blue Peter,(remember when they used to make allsorts with sticky back plastic or is that me just showing my age.)
Thanks so much for your comments Kevin.

I remember watching Blue Peter in the 70's and all the things they made.I must be getting old too:smiling3:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks Ralph for the dimension conversion. I plan to build a destroyed barn in say Russian ( winter ) for my Jagdpanzer IV Lang but research will need to be done as in units type of barn etc and age of barn/type etc.

I may need to look at wooden beams and your dimensions are going to help me immensely.

Regards

Robert

L

liberator61

Ralph this just gets better and better realey informative it gives people something new to try,another string to one's bow as they say.

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Ralph this just gets better and better realey informative it gives people something new to try,another string to one's bow as they say.
Thank you for the kind comments Kevin.I always like and try to give something to the hobby. :smiling3:

\ said:
looking great ,Ralph,do like the way your done the roof, ;)
Thank you Monica,I'm glad you like it:smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great ,Ralph,and glad that you added in the barge boards as well,

real has turned out well,good work,and useful help, ;)

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
looks great ,Ralph,and glad that you added in the barge boards as well,
real has turned out well,good work,and useful help, ;)
Thanks Monica,your support is much appreciated. :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 4539

One of the next things I did was to start the base itself.

Using MDF.I edged this with 1mm plastic sheet.

On top of the MDF I used Will's York stone paving.a recess was cut out for the building.

The building was then glued in place and the ground floor floorboards were added(same way as the other floorboards).

The next thing I added were some stone steps in front of the doorway.

Cheers.

Ralph.

DSCF2097.JPG

DSCF2098.JPG

DSCF2101.JPG

DSCF2103.JPG

DSCF2106.JPG

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Ralph your attention to detail even down to the skirting boards upstairs is brilliant,keep up the good work mate,looking forward to your next installment, Kevin.
Thanks Kevin,appreciate your kind words. :smiling3:

Just a few more things to make then I'll be painting the rest.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that looks great ,Ralph,very well done do like your attention to detail,as Kevin said,

adding in all the skirting boards,and even the front steps,do like you pick of the

York stone paving,real sets it off, ;)

F

Fenlander

I have been looking at MiniArt buildings for an idea I have. Having used MiniArt before, I am more than happy with vac form buildings. However, after seeing how this is developing, I have decided not to go with MiniArt.

I know it will take a while to get as good as this but I am really inspired to have a go.

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
that looks great ,Ralph,very well done do like your attention to detail,as Kevin said,
adding in all the skirting boards,and even the front steps,do like you pick of the

York stone paving,real sets it off, ;)
Thanks Monica. your comments are always welcome:smiling3:

I still need to add some skirting board to the ground floor and I'm in the process of making a door.

I'm also gladyou are liking it

\ said:
I have been looking at MiniArt buildings for an idea I have. Having used MiniArt before, I am more than happy with vac form buildings. However, after seeing how this is developing, I have decided not to go with MiniArt.
I know it will take a while to get as good as this but I am really inspired to have a go.
Thanks for your kind comments Graham.

MiniArt buildings are quite good.

I decided to start scratchbuilding building's for my railway when I noticed on other people's railways that most of the buildings are the same.

I think having a go is a good idea even though it takes time to do.

Whenever I'm outside I'm always looking at buildings(Sad bugger me!).

Cheers

Ralph.

D

Deleted member 4539

Next I made a door(this was fiddly) using the same wood as the windows.The size of the door is 18mm wide by 34mm length,the handle was made with brass wire.

Guttering was added using 2mm half round plastic rod,the downpipe was added using a tube from an airbrush cleaner can, the fixings were made with lead sheet.

I also added the skirting board to the ground floor.

Roof tile were given a base coat of matt black.

Cheers.

Ralph.

DSCF2109.JPG

DSCF2112.JPG

DSCF2117.JPG

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Great work brill idea on the rendering ,must keep a few of those pics for future referance.

I did a roof same as yours for a dols house i built for granddaughter but is was a bit larger and there was 1,450 tiles to cut and glue on.