How to edit ones own thread?

tiking

SMF Poster
First Name
Charles
Can't find a button that gives me the option to edit my own thread. Why is that?

John

Administrator
Administrator
Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 19.11.20.png

There is a cut off time, I can't remember what it is set at but after that you won't have the option

tiking

SMF Poster
First Name
Charles
Ok. So the option is time limited? Ok. Good to know, although I do not know why it's done that way. More often edits are done way past the limited time after a thread has been posted, like in my case. Oh well, so be it. Thank you.

John

Administrator
Administrator
It’s done like that because if you update a post it doesn’t show in the new posts, so no on knows it has been updated.

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
There are about as many arguments in favour of as against time limits on editing posts. Me, I’d like it to always be possible, as I often spot things like spelling errors or awkward phrasing I would like to correct, even sometimes days later.

John

Administrator
Administrator
It’s been like this for 14 years, I can’t recall it ever being a problem.

Last edited:

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
I’m not saying it’s a problem, just that if it were up to me, I would like to always be able to edit my own posts :smiling3:

Ian M

GB Mod
Administrator
First Name
Ian
It is also a good safeguard from 'disgruntled' members editing posts maliciously. (And yes it has happened).
As for spelling and the like, read it befor you press 'post'.

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
I do read it back in the preview, but I always later notice things I didn’t right away after posting, especially awkward phrasing that often escapes me when I initially write and read something back. (I spend much of my time writing things in general, and about as much time editing it to be better.)

John

Administrator
Administrator
It was set to 3 hours, I've set it to 48 hours, that should be enough time to make any edits while still keeping the post current, after this time contact one of the admins or mods and they will be able to change it.

Stevekir

Returning Beginner
First Name
Steve
There are about as many arguments in favour of as against time limits on editing posts. Me, I’d like it to always be possible, as I often spot things like spelling errors or awkward phrasing I would like to correct, even sometimes days later.
An alternative is to put up a new post in the same thread and make the correction there. Anyone still interested in the topic would have continued to have all new posts alerted to him/her automatically.

Jakko

SMF Poster
First Name
Jakko
Yes, but the original mistake is then still there for all to see :smiling3:

First Name
Tim
Can’t help thinking this is a solution looking for a problem. Nothing we post is life and death after all, and altering a post days afterwards can actually invalidate some return submissions.
Tim

beowulf

Styrene Bodger
First Name
Paul
it is Johns site after all, its not an elected democracy, he can make the rules or do as he pleases (going to start thinking of him as 'Our Glorious Leader' now lol)

remember, piss him off enough and he could turn off the forum with one click of a mouse button :fearful::fearful::fearful: