How to get a metal shine ?

L

lutzk

I am just busy revamp a large model tank, I have just finished painting it a matt green colour but would like to put a metal shine to it.

Would some clear gloss do it with lots of thinner deluted or should I look out for some clear satin model paint ?

Thanks Lutz

B

Bunkerbarge

To be honest most tanks do have a very matt finish and when scale effects are taken into consideration I think matt paint is by far the best finish. You could go over with a clear satin but I think there is a very real danger of it ending up looking like a toy.

There are invariably plenty of weathering effects available on armoured vehicles though so maybe a bit of paint chips and dry brushing would make the paint that bit more worn and realistic. I would definately experiment with satin coats though on scrap before committing to the model.

C

Corsair74

i wanted this same effect on the cowling of my mitsubishi zero. i used a product called 'rub 'n buff' to great effect. depending on how much you buff it, you can get an almost mirror-like metallic finish.

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/supplies/NonFiredCoatings/RubnBuff.htm

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
i wanted this same effect on the cowling of my mitsubishi zero. i used a product called 'rub 'n buff' to great effect. depending on how much you buff it, you can get an almost mirror-like metallic finish. http://www.bigceramicstore.com/supplies/NonFiredCoatings/RubnBuff.htm
Great stuff this rub & buff, where did you get it from mate, i need some for the Jug. It is fantastic for picking out details on models, adds to that worn look if you do it correctly.

Cheers

Andy

C

Corsair74

\ said:
Great stuff this rub & buff, where did you get it from mate, i need some for the Jug. It is fantastic for picking out details on models, adds to that worn look if you do it correctly.Cheers

Andy
andy,

i live in new york city, so i bought it at a hobby store called 'jan's hobbies' in the states. i posted a link to an online ceramic store in my post. that might work.

it really brought amazing 'life' to that cowling.

good luck!

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
andy, i live in new york city, so i bought it at a hobby store called 'jan's hobbies' in the states. i posted a link to an online ceramic store in my post. that might work.

it really brought amazing 'life' to that cowling.

good luck!
Thanks mate,

I didnt realise that you were one of our fellow allies... i will take a look around here in the UK, i beleive it may be available over here at a chain of stores called Hobby Craft. I have seen Dave Platt use it and i will need some soon.

Thanks again

Andy

G

Gaz

Try using a soft grafite pencil on the area then polishing it?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's available in the UK. Try art or craft stores. Also online here

http://www.clarkcraft.co.uk/index.php?cPath=33_890

Haven't used it for a while,but it does work.

Steve