How to help for beginner please?

M

modelclimbs

Hi, very new to modelling, I have done a few 'simple' kits to help me get some basic's, now trying my hand at a Tamiya Krupp Protze towing truck and have a question about painting. In the instructions it say's that 'detailed painting is called out during construction and should be done at that time', so for example, on the dashboard there are 3 dials that it says should be painted 'flat black' during construction. So should I do this straight onto the plastic, should it be primed first and if so when you come to prime the whole truck at the end how do you avoid covering all the tiny bits you have painted, is it just a matter of masking them or am I missing something completely? As I say, this is my first attempt at this 'more complicated' project so I hope I am not sounding too daft!
Thanks for any advice.
Steve

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Here's my advice other people's may differ but I always paint as you go other wise you might find something at the end you can't reach with the brush.
As goes primer some do others don't with me I don't prime its all up to the individual.
And masking,once again it's up to the individual.
I always leave the small bits off until needed.

M

modelclimbs

Thanks for the advice Peter, I guess it's going t be a bit of trial and error at first to see what suits. Regarding the masking, the truck will be painted in German Gray, which I have a Tamiya spay paint for (as recommended in the instructions) so, for example, the seats are supposed to be painted during the build, but I think they would have to be masked or the spray would go on them?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would paint the dashboard the main colour first ( I do prime ). Then paint the dials using a small thin brush.

M

modelclimbs

Thanks Ian, didn't even think of that, great idea that should make life easier! One other thing someone may be able to help with; In the instructions it gives a list of 16 paints that will be needed for the build, it has you using a selection of these during the build for painting tricky places etc. It does not tell you anything about the end painting though, so when you have finished building and move onto painting how do you know what colour you need for each part? I also built a jerry can and drum set recently and that mentions no colours at all. Is it a matter of looking at old pictures to find out correct colours, seems a bit strange that you get a list of paint colours but no info on where they all go.
Thanks.
Steve

First Name
Richard
Not relay sure if this is what you mean but here is a picture of one of the pages from the krupp with some paint advice.tamiya1_35kruppprotze (16).jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I hope that this helps a bit Steve.
As a general rule a tank/truck/armoured car is one base colour on the inside and the outside is anything from one colour to many (Camouflage),
The instructions are made up of sections which are done so that you can complet one section at a time. As a beginner, it is a good idea to follow the steps as laid out. OK sometimes they can be a bit hard to figure out but a good build tip is to find all the parts, clean them up for mould lines and sprue gate stubs, then lay them out on the instruction sheet as they are shown. you then can see what you have and how they go together. Start with painting all the main parts in the colour stated for the inside. (can often be the same as the outside base colour, like on your Krupp. Then when that has dried and cured. you paint the details, Dials, Gear stick knobs, and the like...then its a case of repeat for each section.
On the diagram Richard has posted above, you can see that the main colour is German grey and all the detail parts are marked with a colour. Things like axes, spades, and other tools are best painted befor they are fixed in place after the main body parts are done. I typically leave all the small fiddly bits to last as they are quite easy to either "paint outside the lines" or simply knock off! Oh windows! leave them out as long as you can or mask them off well. (do not forget the inside as well. Been there done that).
Once you feel comfortable doing things that way you can take on several build sections at a time and say have four or five sections ready to paint. If you spray paint it is a good idea to have as many sections ready to paint as you can handle. My limit is when there is no more room on the bench, and I have a big bench! lol

M

modelclimbs

That's great advice, thank you so much. That diagram you show Richi is what I thought would be included, the one I am building is not that one, it's the one that pulls the gun, with 4 figures but I have nothing like that diagram in my box, which I thought was a bit odd. Something like that would be ideal for a beginner! Thanks for all the detailed advice Ian, I will take it on board and see how I get on. Steve.

M

modelclimbs

Will be sure too Richi, really enjoying the hobby so far, can't wait to get on with my project!