How to make Sanding Sealer.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sanding Sealer is getting a bit difficult to get hold of these days but is easy enough to make yourself,all you need is ordinary clear dope,some cheap talcum powder,oil of Wintergreen and a little glycerin,add enough talc to the dope to just make it fall off the brush,add a touch of th oil of Wintergreen to stop any blooming and then a dash of glycerin to make the material slightly elastic and avoid any brittle dry out,you will find this mix to sand down really well,once done use a tack cloth ( lint free cloth with dab of clear varnish ) to get rid of the dust and apply a second coat for a superb finish all ready to take paint.

A

adzam

thanx wonwinglo, someone had suggested i use a sanding sealer, but i have no joy in finding any

i`ll give this a try next weekend.

oil of wintergreen ? , will that be available ffrom a chemist ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes Oil of Wintergreen is used for aching joints,any good chemist will stock it,only use a smidgin,a bottle will last years.

S

sjblair4

Could you be a little more specific on the formula/proportions of ingredients to make sanding sealer? Is lacquer the same or a good substitute as "dope"? What is dope anyways? What is "blooming"? How do you know how much glycerin to add?

S

SOS

regarding the sanding sealer

what is the ratio mixed talcum, wintergreen oil and glistering , after applying 2 quotes of sanding sealer , can we spray on a surface of NC WOOD STAIN AND WOOD LACQUER ?