How to paint thin outlines on a windshield

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just wondering if there is a technique for painting the "metal" outlines on the cockpit glass front shield?
I have some skinny brushes, but still, I manage to smudge it a tad, frustratingly. :disappointed2:
My hands are quite stable :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Plus one on mask then paint.
I mask the canopy off the model (it’s far easier to manipulate a canopy in your hand than a whole aircraft), then glue it in place and paint it with the rest of the aircraft.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Mask the whole canopy with masking tape
Cut around the frames with a fine tipped blade, such as a Swan Morton #11 scalpel blade
Peel off the tape from the frames
Paint the canopy frames, and the rest of the model if necessary
When the paint has dried, but not set absolutely hard, peel off the rest of the masking tape from the canopy

OR -

Cut masking tape into very narrow strips and line the frames with them, leaving the frames themselves exposed
Fill in the rest of the canopy with tape or liquid masking fluid
Paint the frames, and the rest of the model if necessary
When the paint has dried, but not set absolutely hard, remove the masking from the canopy

OR -

Paint the frames as well as you can with a fine brush, but don't worry too much if it spreads slightly onto the canopy
When the paint has dried, but not set absolutely hard, scrape off any excess paint with a cocktail stick
It helps if you trim the end of the cocktail stick into a very small chisel shape
This method is known as 'paint and scrape'

Practice & experience will show you how set/dried/cured the paint needs to be
You can get canopy masks for some kits
Search YouTube for 'painting model aircraft canopies' ; there are several videos

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mask the whole canopy with masking tape
Cut around the frames with a fine tipped blade, such as a Swan Morton #11 scalpel blade
Peel off the tape from the frames
Paint the canopy frames, and the rest of the model if necessary
When the paint has dried, but not set absolutely hard, peel off the rest of the masking tape from the canopy

OR -

Cut masking tape into very narrow strips and line the frames with them, leaving the frames themselves exposed
Fill in the rest of the canopy with tape or liquid masking fluid
Paint the frames, and the rest of the model if necessary
When the paint has dried, but not set absolutely hard, remove the masking from the canopy

OR -

Paint the frames as well as you can with a fine brush, but don't worry too much if it spreads slightly onto the canopy
When the paint has dried, but not set absolutely hard, scrape off any excess paint with a cocktail stick
It helps if you trim the end of the cocktail stick into a very small chisel shape
This method is known as 'paint and scrape'

Practice & experience will show you how set/dried/cured the paint needs to be
You can get canopy masks for some kits
Search YouTube for 'painting model aircraft canopies' ; there are several videos
Good points there , I'll try the last method on my Mossie, thanks .

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Oh, a couple of points I forgot -

If you remove the tape or scrape while the paint is dry but still soft, the paint is less likely to chip or lift

Sometimes it helps if you dip the cocktail stick in thinners when you scrape

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks , noted .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Oh, a couple of points I forgot -

If you remove the tape or scrape while the paint is dry but still soft, the paint is less likely to chip or lift

Sometimes it helps if you dip the cocktail stick in thinners when you scrape
If the paint is acrylic, stubborn overpainting on a canopy can also be removed using a fine brush that is damp (not wet) with airbrush cleaner.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Great stuff.
Thanks for all the replies, given me good ideas, especially masking the whole canopy etc (cheers zuludog)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I wouldn’t bother with it Bob. Just sharpen a toothpick to a chisel edge and use that to scrape the paint off. The secret is to scrape the paint off with something harder than the paint, but softer than the canopy, and not to let the tool dig in.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Tim, I'll take your advice and chisel the smudged paint off (hopefully :smiling3:)