Hu-16 "albatross" U.s.c.g.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and gals,

Albatrosses were used by the U.S. Air Force, primarily by the Air Rescue Service. The USAF utilized the SA-16 extensively in Korea, where it gained a reputation as a rugged and seaworthy craft. Later, the HU-16B (long-wing variant) Albatross was used by the U.S. Air Force's Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Service in the Vietnam conflict. The HU-16D Albatross was used for United States Navy Search And Rescue and "skunk runs" on Guam during the Vietnam War at NAS Agana. Goodwill flights were also common to the surrounding Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands in the early 1970s. Open water landing and takeoff training using JATO was conducted frequently at Apra Harbor, Guam. The aircraft was also operated by the United States Coast Guard for many years.

Now I mentioned yesterday that I would probably build this model or the XF2Y-1 SEA DART....well the Albatross won out. I have been buying old models, some over 50 yrs old, lately on ebay. Originally it was for the purposes of reselling them later, but, there are a few that caught my eye and I just had to build. The Albatross was one of them.

As you all know by now, I have been having some neck trouble so this build, although easy, took me abit longer than my usual 2-3 hrs. And since I was not using the markings from the kit, I had to make my own, so that added some time to the build too.

Anyway, I finished after dark here...about 6:30 p.m. and so I took the model out on my pick up trucks hood once again (like I did with the X-24A model) and using my 2,000,000 candlelight spotlight, I took a couple of pictures. The last two photos are of the aircraft that inspired my building of this model.

Anyway, have a good day and a very happy new year all

Greg aka GW

R

rjwood_uk

very nice model on a very nice but different subject there greg!!!!

those night shots look amazing.

just an idea.... i dont know what the weather has been like there but if you have got a nice clear/flat cote or something on your model, stick it in a puddle, make some nice random ripples, then take the night shots and it will look like its on the water at night!

....just an idea.

lovely photos of a lovely model. hope it didnt cause your neck too much pain.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy RJ,

Thanks for the kind words. taking the photos caused no pain what-so-ever lol, it was the sitting during the construction of the model that was bad....fortunately, I got some painkillers that take the pain from a "sharp, agonizing" pain to a "dull, agonizing" pain lol.

It has rained here alot lately, but there are no puddles around for me to take a shot like that one you spoke of. Although, i really like that idea.

I was impressed myself with the night time shots on the hood of my truck tonight, the black background really makes the model stand out.

Maybe it will rain soon and I can try a photo like you suggested.

Have a good day and a happy new year,

Greg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Tiger,

Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words.

its 11:30 am here and i havent quite decided what i want to try to build today lol.

have a good day and a happy new year,

Greg