Hull Numbers?

First Name
Robert
Hi guys

I just did a purchase with tommy1drop on an accademy 1/35 M3 lee ( future project ).

Now I'm looking through ref pics and I notice some stamped numbers on the front hull minder the 37mm sponson,and wondering was this standard issue to this medium tank

I have a good idea what I'm going to do with the tank etc but wanted to know this ahead of time, if I need to put this on the vehicle

Your thoughts please.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

P

Polux

I don't know the reason....sorry :sad:

But some time ago I bought a Sherman that comes with those numbers as well.. (was an Italien campaign one).

D

dubster72

I'm not 100% sure Robert, but I believe they are casting numbers indicating the factory that produced each tank.

I've seen them on Shermans, Pershings to name just 2.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'd go along with the cast number........ I have no idea what they did in WWII. but I would have thought they would want to keep track of what arour was on what tanks. Purely from a development perspective, if there was a failure in the casting on several tanks from the same cast then you'd want to know which tanks had a similar cast......... and as armour comostion / technology developed you would want to keep track of that.......... Our company produces a lot of hitec machined components for MOD(N) and what is now refered to as a "Heat Number" is recorded all the way through from raw material, NDT and the finished item. So we end up with a record of what is in service on what ships/submarines.

First Name
Robert
That's brill thanks Peter and Patrick,Polux it makes sense, I originally thought it was the vehicle number I.e the amount of vehicles produced but then there are two numbers on some pics that differ so the casting numbers seems more plausible.

I wasn't being picky but seeing as I'm getting into this armour phase I wanted to get the best info out there available.

Cheers

Robert