Humbol Gloss Cote & 35 clear poly - differences?

C

Curtis

Hi guys, just a quick question....

Is the humbrol gloss cote finishing product pretty much the same thing as humbrol 35 gloss varnish in the tinlet??

The gloss cote is more expensive and the 35 just comes in a normal tin instead of a little bottle with brush. Humbrols descriptions on their website sound like its basically the same thing but I was wondering if anyone has used either/or? And which they would recommend?

Also, is it worth using either of these or is there a cheaper alternative I could use from a normal hardware store?

M

Military.modeller80

Hi

As far as I can tell they are two very different products with the #35 being very much better.

For an alternative you could try Halford clear lacquer in a rattle can.

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi curtis , i think the difference is that the no 35 gloss enamel can possibly yellow with age ,whereas the gloss cote is supposed to be formulated to avoid yellowing. Ive used both and found the gloss cote to be a bit temperamental , sometimes taking ages to dry and remaining slightly tacky . If its a clear gloss for a car model then as paul says ,you could do a lot worse than the Halfords acrylic laquer. Just remember not to spray it on too thick and leave it overnight before recoating( if necessary). As for the alternatives from Hardware stores , any polyurethane varnish from such places wont be resistant to yellowing, ok if youre glossing a wooden boat model but little use elsewhere. cheers tony

C

Curtis

Brilliant advice guys!

I tend to only build cars anyway so I'll probably be taking a visit to Halfords at some point in the near future!