humbrol enamel washes

First Name
colin
I have been given some of the humbrol enamel washes to try. Does anybody know if these are safe to use on Vallejo and Tamiya acrylic paints.
Thanks in advance
Colin.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Colin, I would lay down a coat of gloss acrylic varnish, Alclad Aqua Gloss for instance first. It will help the wash to run into the detail. You can matt coat later.

First Name
colin
Thanks Barry. I normally use oil washes over acrylic varnish I was just a bit worried the the thinners in the wash may be a bit hot.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Barry. I normally use oil washes over acrylic varnish I was just a bit worried the the thinners in the wash may be a bit hot.
Enamel thinners with acrylic varnish should not be a problem but it is always wise not to be too agressive removing excess wash with a brush or cotton bud. One point - I would leave the acrylic varnish to cure properly, at least 24 hours, before applying washes.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've used Humbrol washes over Clear/Pledge/floorcare/whateveritscallednowadays without any problems.

Pete

A

Awins

I do use Humbrol washes over the Humbrol clear coat ( water based ) and not had any issues.
But as Barry says allow good time for the protective coat to fully cure. Personally for me nothing less than 48 hrs at room temperature.