Humbrol paint

K

kevingambrell

Hi does any one know whats going on with Humbrol?

Its the only half decent paint out there with the exception of Pheonix.

Hope its not gone the way of most good things.

kevin

B

Bunkerbarge

As as I know currently neither Humbrol nor Airfix products are being produced.

As and when the new owners will be able to get some form of production back has not yet been released. I would have expected that the Humbrol range would have been the easiest to get back on it's feet though as the paint was already being made in a Chinese factory. It wouldn't surprise me to see it eventually being joined by the Airfix products.

B

backonthecase

I agree, humbrol enamels are good paint and very versatile in their uses!

My "local" (60 miles away!) shop told me that they werent able to get any in, but there's a chance a lot of shops have shedloads of stock left cos a lot of the stockists heard about the issue in advance so ordered a lot of stock... Depends on the space they have available i suppose....anyway that's the info I have! Hope it helps

K

kevingambrell

I agree, Humbrol is good paint and miles better than the japanese water paint most model shops sell. I tried he tamiya paint couldnt rub it down and couldnt get a shine on it. I do hope Humbrol re surfaces. I have a Fowler to paint LOL

kevin

M

maxidad66

Although I have not tried them yet, I hear good things about Colourcoats enamles from White Ensign Models. Apparently they do some really accurate colours for aircraft and ship schemes and the quality is meant to be excellent. Bit more expensive than Humbrol though.

K

kevingambrell

I have used Pheonix paints, and always use there etch primmer on any brass I paint but the coolours seem a bit weak. I use the humbrol on my traction engines as it resists oil and steam reaonably well.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Humbrol paints were not part of the Airfix deal,only the kit side,in fact the Humbrol paint production was in the process of change to production in Japan up until the demise of Airfix,there was a problem also with the paint specs,which had not been recorded at Marfleet but held by a deceased member of the company,this did not help the new set up.

There is still a lot of paint stock out there but most for colours that were not so popular,ie dead stock,my local craft supplier has a rack devoid of the popular white,black,camo colours etc,I think the situation is the same all over.

Whether we will see a return to the Humbrol tinlets as we once knew them is debatable ? meanwhile Revell have stepped in encouraging dealers to stock their own range of paints which is a totally different formulae to Humbrol.

K

kevingambrell

I tried a can of the revell paint on the cofee cup for the latest engine. Its like water with a splash of colour chucked in. I slung it in the bin and used another colour.

Why is it this country cant keep a decent company going? How could airfix and humbrol go under it seems crazy to me.

Kevin

B

backonthecase

I agree, I've only used 1 revell colour and i could never get it mixed properly. Sometimes like the thinner wasnt compatible with the pigments! nonsense!

S

squiffythewombat

Well i got some blah through saying that Humbrol paints were back in stock and levels should return to normal soon so something to that effect! Pity really i dont stock humbrol lol!

V

VooDoo

Well i got some blah through saying that Humbrol paints were back in stock and levels should return to normal soon so something to that effect! Pity really i dont stock humbrol lol!
Too add to this.

I was in a model shop today and the owner said that he had been at the London Toy Fair [ Last week? ] and said that Airfix and Humbrol had bioth been bought by Hornby and Heller by a French industrialist. He then went on to say that Airfix were now in production and Humbrol very soon, if not already underway. He was awaiting his first order from new owners, maybe from old stock though.

So we should soon be able to get the Humbrol stuff we want. :beer:

Greig

B

backonthecase

Aharrrrr I'll drink to that folks. Humbrol was dead....long live Humbrol! lol