"I ask for the House indulgence.....Bismarck is sunk!"

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

The others have said it all already; it is modelling it's very best.

It's why I joined forums like this, to learn from top notch modellers such as yourself.

Again very well done.

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Simply gobsmacking mate , not only the modelling but the storytelling and photography , its as if I’ve witnessed it first hand . Totally brilliant , cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I know you don't like being called an expert or master builder, but I can't just say "This looks OK I suppose".

Everything about this series of builds - the models, the photography and the story - has been top notch and should provide inspiration for all the folks just starting in the hobby to see what can be achieved.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the very nice posts boys. I'm really chuffed with all the great comments.

Here is the last bit of the saga- The players......

Ships, top to bottom.

Airfix 1/600 Bismarck. (Steaming in the ice of the Baltic) The kit hull is a bit 'Chunky'
Revell 1/500 Bismarck ( Steaming, blowed up and sunk) Superb kit and well recommended if you want to build an excellent, and cheap Bismarck.
Tamiya 1/700 Waterline Series. HMS King George V. Nice detail.
Revell 1/1200 Mini ships series. Bismarck (in the locks, at sea and in the fjord.) These Miniships from Revell are great fun to build and have an amazing amount of detail.
Ditto, Prinz Eugen (At sea and in the fjord with Bismarck)

Airfix 1/72 PRU Spitfire.

Revell 1/350 Type VII/41 U. Boat. Like the miniships, these Revell mini U. Boats are packed full with detail and a dream to build.

No pictures of HMS Hood. She is spending her days up in the loft! She is a Heller 1/400. The kit is modelled as she was before her WW2 re-fit. I had to do loads of mods. on her for the time of her sinking....

P1330985.JPG

A few words of this similar image to the one in this thread which might be useful.....

I used 'Forced Perspective' for the fjord pictures.
Rule of thumb - Smaller scale below ( or to the back) depending on the composition. Below is the 1/72 spitfire above 1/1200 ships. The aircraft is sat on a tinlet of paint. This is only an example. See the slight shadow under the aircraft? This spoils the illusion. I did this on purpose to show what to avoid. To prevent this, just raise the top model up a bit until the shadow disappears. Or position the camera directly over the subject.
P1330986.JPG

Oops!
P1330987.JPG

...above the 1/350 U. Boat.
P1330988.JPG

That really is it.
It's been a joy putting this thread together, made even better by the amazing and humbling comments from you lovely people.

Thanks again.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I used 'Forced Perspective' for the fjord pictures.
Rule of thumb - Smaller scale below ( or to the back) depending on the composition. Below is the 1/72 spitfire above 1/1200 ships. The aircraft is sat on a tinlet of paint.
Thanks Ron. That explains something that has baffled me for ages.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been away, so sorry for the delay in responding to posts I've missed on this thread, but it's only right to somehow acknowledge them, even if a tad late, so....

Jim, Gerry and Fernando, thank you for your excellent comments..

Cheers.

Oldgit70

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thus spoke Winston Churchill to the House of Commons in May 1941.

Just for fun, I've picked out photos of models I've made in a kind'a potted stage thingy, leading up to the sinking of the German Battleship Bismarck....and as she lies today.

Please be kind and accept the images for what they are. My best attempt. Thank you.

This selection of pictures are of her leaving Kiel, being spotted along with Prinz Eugen in the Norwegian Fjords. To their breakout into the North Atlantic.

Leaving Kiel heading into the Baltic
View attachment 459005

Her 'Stripes' in the Baltic ice.
View attachment 459006

View attachment 459007

In the company of Prinz Eugen heading up the Norwegian Coast line.
View attachment 459008

Bismarck from Prinz Eugen.
View attachment 459009

Prinz Eugen from Bismarck.
View attachment 459010

After the Allies wonder where the two ships are, they are finally spotted in a Norwegian Fjord getting ready to attempt a breakout into the N. Atlantic.
View attachment 459011

View attachment 459012

Re- painted, the German ships breaks out into the Denmark Straits.

Bismarck....
View attachment 459013

View attachment 459014

View attachment 459015

HMS Hood races to intercept the 'Upstart'
View attachment 459016

View attachment 459017

To be continued.........

Thanks for looking.

Ron
Excellent

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron,

Like Neil, I missed the closing pics!! Thanks for the demo and the great pictures.

Andrew

Last edited:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
What can I possibly say that hasn't already been said?
Epic as usual and so glad to see you back in harness.

All the best,

Jim.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ron, wonderful photography and saga for the hunt and sinking of Bismark. I particularly like the smoke and ambiance of the shots. Looks almost real. :thumb2: Forgot to add, your missing time was that you were in time travel and took these shots. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard