I give up!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Returning to kit modelling aafter about 50 years thanks to a charity shop find Revell 1/24 Ferrari. I thought I'd get my hand in first by building an Airfix 1/32 Triumph TR4A I was given many years ago. I actually had one of these kits in the sixties, but never completed it since the fit of some parts was so poor. Well, same problem and worse with this newer one. No location points for some of the parts, useless instructions, lots of flash and moulding marks - I can cope with all that, but I glued the transmission tunnel onto the floor and now the floor won't fit in the body as the tunnel clashes with the rear seat! I've had it with this kit, it's going back in the attic.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
That's all part of modeling I have lost count of how many I have binned because they are so cr*p better luck on the next one onwards and upwards as they say:smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That's all part of modeling I have lost count of how many I have binned because they are so cr*p better luck on the next one onwards and upwards as they say:smiling3:
Yes, it's hard to believe how bad some kits were, and perhaps still are. Don't the manufacturers do test builds?
However, I've moved on the an Airfix starter set, the Bf109, which seems totally different. Good crisp detail, clear instructions, not much flash. I'll see what the fits are like when the paint has dried.
One of the things I'd forgotten is how to decide which parts to paint before assembly and which after.

D

dubster72

You're another victim of the Airfix policy of putting old kits in new boxes. Although a warning voice in our heads says " I bet that's the dog of a kit I remember from my youth", we still get conned.

And to my mind, that's exactly what it is - corporate deceit! These kits should have a ' made in 19**' label on them to allow buyers to make a more informed decision.

Good luck with the starter set, the new tool Airfix kits are way better than their forebears.

N

noble

I empathize with you on this topic might I suggest Tamiya, even the older kits are still a quality fit, the only thing you might have to do is add some details to the kit. Generally there great.

A

Aurora

there is no all good brand or all worst brand. every brand has good kits and horrible kits. before buying a kit you can search on internet like scalemates, scalemadness etc. it helps a lot.

F

Fenlander

The other side of the coin is that to build, to a good standard, a dog of a kit is one of the most rewarding aspects of our hobby. Anyone can build a Tamiya super kit but the satisfaction of getting a less well engineered kit looking good into the display cabinet is priceless.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The other side of the coin is that to build, to a good standard, a dog of a kit is one of the most rewarding aspects of our hobby. Anyone can build a Tamiya super kit but the satisfaction of getting a less well engineered kit looking good into the display cabinet is priceless.

couldnt agree more, i love tackling a really crappy kit to see what i can make of it

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Great observation Graham!!:cool: