I hate yellow paint

First Name
Alex
Does anyone else find that using yellow as a main colour takes a lot more coats than other colours?

I've had to use 4 coats of Humbrol Trainer Yellow 24 (Acrylic) for my Tiger Moth.

I wonder if it's anything to do with the fact I used a grey undercoat?

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I had a matchbox wessex witch I did In yellow and that took a whole humbrol rattle can so I know where you are coming from

Rbaker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I tend to use a White undercoat if using Yellow as several people on here have said they need fewer coats when painting yellow over white rather than grey.

The few times I have painted something Yellow the white undercoat has needed fewer coats

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not just you. I think the most of us have had a run in with Yellow paint. White primer is the way to go. these days you can get coloured primers as well. Or as I do use acrylic white and add Yellow to it.... ;)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yellow is always difficult.

My advice is to use the Stynylrez Yellow primer first, lay down a light coat and then spray your chosen shade of yellow on top. I find it covers beautifully, even over black.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I find it the same,real try to keep away from it,:confused:
what I do is use gray,primer,then a coat or two ,of pale sand,as It,has a hint of
yellow in it,so makes it a bit easier to coat,
also much like Orange is the same,:rolleyes:

J

John Rixon

Yellow is the most transparent pigment going, just adding a gnat's knacker of white to your first few coats will add the opacity, then you can finish of with a neat topcoat. As Barry suggests though, a good yellow primer is the best way. I've Only used Stynylrez in grey, but if their yellow primer is properly yellow, and as opaque as the other colours, then I reckon it's a game changer!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I heard that a pink undercoat works well so tried it on an airfix fiat g50 a few years ago , it was better than grey but produced about the same results as a white primer so i would just use white. Great tip from john there though ,adding a drop of white to the first few coats to increase the opacity - I'll definitely be using that little gem -cheers john!! As a footnote , i dont seem to remember having any problems when i was a nipper ,brush painting humbrol enamels , their matt yellow was opaque and covered everything (mind you no one primed anything then either ,just slap it on!!) so maybe this is a modern acrylic (possibly modern enamel too) problem ? Maybe the Nanny state has made all the paint manufacturers make them all super safe so all the good old hazardous ingredients that used to make the paint actually do its job properly have been removed for our own safety (i dont know about you but ive never been tempted to drink gallons of model paint but thanks Health and Safety guys for assuming im stupid enough to and looking out for me!)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Back in the 1960s I built an Airfix low loader, which came with a JCB as the load. It was of course painted yellow, with Humbrol enamel, but it didn't dry hard. When we cleared the house in 2000 after Mum died, the paint on the model was still tacky!

Pete

First Name
Alex
I heard that a pink undercoat works well so tried it on an airfix fiat g50 a few years ago , it was better than grey but produced about the same results as a white primer so i would just use white. Great tip from john there though ,adding a drop of white to the first few coats to increase the opacity - I'll definitely be using that little gem -cheers john!! As a footnote , i dont seem to remember having any problems when i was a nipper ,brush painting humbrol enamels , their matt yellow was opaque and covered everything (mind you no one primed anything then either ,just slap it on!!) so maybe this is a modern acrylic (possibly modern enamel too) problem ? Maybe the Nanny state has made all the paint manufacturers make them all super safe so all the good old hazardous ingredients that used to make the paint actually do its job properly have been removed for our own safety (i dont know about you but ive never been tempted to drink gallons of model paint but thanks Health and Safety guys for assuming im stupid enough to and looking out for me!)

I've had the misfortune of tasting acrylic paint due to a rogue spillage, you know one of those events where you just randomly decide to clumsily flick your arm out resulting in a pot of paint flying half way across the room, some of it found its way on my lips and have to say it tastes plasticky and painty, reminded me of playschool when I was little, I must have eaten a lot of paint then too. Never tried enamel paint, don't want to either if i can avoid it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Matt yellow makes a pretty good first coat as well come to think of it.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
As a footnote , i dont seem to remember having any problems when i was a nipper ,brush painting humbrol enamels , their matt yellow was opaque and covered everything (mind you no one primed anything then either ,just slap it on!!) so maybe this is a modern acrylic (possibly modern enamel too) problem ?

Have to agree with you Tony. With the 'new' generation Humbrol enamels I find the gloss yellow has better coverage, but yellow, red, and sometimes reds are difficult to get good coverage from. Like you, when I painted (slapped on) in the 80's the issues we have these days didn't seem to arise. There is a definite odour difference when you open an ancient tin and a new new batch. Not that I sniff paint intentionally !

First Name
Alex
Have to agree with you Tony. With the 'new' generation Humbrol enamels I find the gloss yellow has better coverage, but yellow, red, and sometimes reds are difficult to get good coverage from. Like you, when I painted (slapped on) in the 80's the issues we have these days didn't seem to arise. There is a definite odour difference when you open an ancient tin and a new new batch. Not that I sniff paint intentionally !

Nothing wrong with sniffing paint lol everyone does it and don't say you don't because it's lies! it smells a lot better than some of the other er..h hm 'odours' that emanate from my work bench.:oops:

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Years, nay, decades ago, I remember reading a general guide to painting; probably in Airfix magazine

It stated that red and yellow were translucent colours and should be used over a matt white base coat. I've done that ever since, and never had any problems
Also on my own initiative I use a matt white base coat with most blues

If you watch the various car restoration programmes on TV like Car SOS & Wheeler Dealers you see that whenever they do a full respray they often use a white or very pale grey base coat or primer