I have a use for you

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That is a real cracker. Love the subtle black shading especially . Was that oils? If so, what was the mix...
Cheers
Tim

J

Jay-BFG

That is a real cracker. Love the subtle black shading especially . Was that oils? If so, what was the mix...
Cheers
Tim
Oil over enamels. Do you mean the mix for the black?

If so then I used a dark grey enamel base, deepest shadows with black, blue and brown, highlights with pink added to the black mix

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work,Jay,do real like the look you got,so detail to his face,
and thank you for say how you did the,subtle black ,a very good helping tip,:smiling:

J

Jay-BFG

great work,Jay,do real like the look you got,so detail to his face,
and thank you for say how you did the,subtle black ,a very good helping tip,:smiling:
Cheers Monica, glad you like him

Black is a hard colour to do, and a light absorbing felt material is even harder to do, without it looking like a shiny material.

Don’t know if it works with anything other than oils, but adding pink (W&N flesh) to dark colours will lighten the colour without washing it out

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jay
Thanks for the tip. I’ve used flesh colour to fade black tires and fabric colours for years, but usually go for black as both shading and mid tones. Started with Humbrols now using Acrylics. I’ll try your scheme next time, it gives more depth....
Cheers
Tim

J

Jay-BFG

Hi Jay
Thanks for the tip. I’ve used flesh colour to fade black tires and fabric colours for years, but usually go for black as both shading and mid tones. Started with Humbrols now using Acrylics. I’ll try your scheme next time, it gives more depth....
Cheers
Tim
Blue will give a richness to the black, and brown will give it some depth
Jay,
That's a great job, dare I say your best to date.
Scottie
Cheers Paul, always trying to improve. (sorry seem to have deleted the post you commented on, off FB somehow)
fantastic work
Thanks Ian

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent work Jay. Simply stunning shading on both clothing and facial features.
Top stuff!

Cheers
P

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jay
Beautifully done. Real quality. You keep upping your game.
Jim

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Brilliant work, the skin and clothing are all skillfully finished.