I want to go home....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Spanner's SIG I want to go home....

Hi everyone, I have finally got together the 1/16 kits I require for this SIG, however......

I found a superb painting on 'tinternet of a German soldier carrying an MG42. This is my subject.

I found it very difficult to source a separate 1/16 MG42 so I decided to purchase this Tamiya Machine gunner. I didn't want the great coat' as I think it's a bit naff and lifeless, but needed the weapon.

Next I needed an ordinary uniform from the time of Stalingrad so I bought this Dragon one, thinking to modify him to carry the Tamiya MG on his shoulder....following so far?

I opened the Tamiya gunner kit yesterday (Thanks Father Christmas) only to discover he has a uniform hidden under the great coat, so you have the option of using either, Doh!

If only I had looked at other build pictures for this SIG, I would have spotted this!!....(Must pay more attention)

So on to ebay goes the Dragon figure...I think.

Cheers

Ron

View attachment 41790

Go Figure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Always the way Ron! I bought a tv before Christmas, then won another at my firms Christmas raffle!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like youre 'gunner' have to sell the other one ron!! (ill get me coat , hang on though , youve got one of those spare as well !!!LOL) tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Looks like youre 'gunner' have to sell the other one ron!! (ill get me coat , hang on though , youve got one of those spare as well !!!LOL) tony
Excellent stuff Patrick ,come Spring you can get yourself a big boy's shed and sling one of the t.v.'s in it!Tony, seeing as 'ow we is muckers and all, I will forgive your two feeble attempts at humour.....Actually they were very good!

Cheers,Ron

Opps! sorry Ian, I forgot to include the obligatory sprue shot (added 27/12/2011)

View attachment 41826

Go Figure 001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Should really be taking pictures of my 'Sniper' G.B., but it's too windy to go outside with the model so I've been having a bit of a go at this 1/16 figure.

This is my first attempt at this scale, so like A.J. with his, it's all a bit tentative......

As the title suggests, I'm trying to end up with a figure who has had enough of the war.

He has seen it all..He was in on the invasion of Russia and fought at Minsk, Kharkov and seen his best friends killed.

The once mighty German Army is in almost complete dissarray and in full retreat, being pushed ever westward by the vast hoards of the unstoppable Red Army.

His uniform is a mess, he has lost much of his equipment, he is in the port of Danzig, his back to the Baltic Sea with nowhere left to go......He just wants to go home.

Here is a bit of progress:-

Because he will end up in tatters, I have omitted his greatcoat. This meant I had to hack off the big coat collar from the neck/ shoulder moulding and build up below his belt where the coat would have been. Also I have filed away most of his webbing and filled out his uniform here and there to make it more baggy and limp.

I am in the process of remodelling his left arm, which on the original model is hanging down.

It's a toughy, but you have to have a go at summat new don't you?

Thanks for looking,

Ron

View attachment 41888

View attachment 41889

View attachment 41890

Go Figure 002.jpg

Go Figure 003.jpg

Go Figure 004.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like you have gotten the better of it Ron.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Hey Ron, nice work. He looks a little ill though to me, MEDIC!!!!!!!

Andy

D

dubster72

It looks like it's going very well Ron, and it's a brave man that shells out his cash only to start hacking away at it!

Mind you, he's not too imposing at the moment, in fact he's 'armless!! Oh, couldn't resist that one! I'll get me coat!

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Throwing it down, so still can't get out with my 'Farm'! So I'm having a play with this again....

I have done some more remodelling (or butchering if you prefer)

I have filed away his right hand greatcoat sleeve and carved a fore arm, added his hand and split his sleeve.

He also now has a left hand, suitably twisted to the angle I want.

Loads more filling, shaping and filing to do yet, but I am happy, so far, with the basic shape and scruffy look I am after.

The MG42 is a nice model on it's own. Very well engineered.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 41920

View attachment 41921

View attachment 41922

View attachment 41923

Go Figure 008.jpg

Go Figure 005.jpg

Go Figure 006.jpg

Go Figure 007.jpg

A

AJay

Excellent start, Ron. You're brave to take on all the modifications - look forward to seeing it progress :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Adrian, but brave? I don't think so.

Thing is, I like to have a go at something new....(I can't stand that phrase 'Outside my comfort zone.' lol ) or I will never try new and different elements to our hobby.

If this figure goes wrong, I would hopefully be able to make something out of the wreckage....All part of the fun!

Onwards and upwards, eh?

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Adrian?

Adrian, I meant Alex not Adrian. Alex, you're not Adrian but Alex, so, sorry Adrain and Alex for calling Alex Adrian when it should have been Alex all along.

Happy New Year!!

Cheers,

Bill

P

phalinmegob

hey will, have you started your new year celebrations early. :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys for your great comments........

Like most of us doing this SIG, it's my first go at detail figure painting and I'm finding it quite fascinating. It's great seeing all the figures coming to life with each session I see from fellow 'Virgin figurers'!

Here's me' man up to now.

I am trying to get him to look as scruffy and fed up as I can. To that end I've ripped his uniform here and there and given him a pair of threadbare, fingerless mitts.

This is the first coat of paint, and I have had a go at weathering his clobber.

I was after a warn out, pinched look to his face, so I started with a well watered down coat of Lt. brown acrylic, thinking to build on that. However, I am really pleased with how just the one coat has turned out, so apart from a bit of mouth and eye work, I'm going to leave it as it is..... Beginner's luck, happy accident? Call it what you will, but I'm happy with it.

He even ended up with his eye painted. How that happened I really don't know!

Loads to do yet, but I hope you like the tentative steps so far.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 42589

View attachment 42590

View attachment 42591

View attachment 42592

Go Figure 027.jpg

Go Figure 021.jpg

Go Figure 022.jpg

Go Figure 024.jpg