Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Kresten.

I keep looking out for yours but not much happening yet.

Ian M

K

Kressy13

Yea mate. Just finished sorting out a bit of stuff that has prevented me from doing anything. So hopefully i can unwind and get a bit done this weekend.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then! I have run out of green paint, I cant imagine why.... So having loads of grey paint it must be time to get started on the Tornado.

Right now I am studying photos trying to figure out just which of the 20 shades of grey I need to dig up and shake out!!

Made a start on the cockpit yesterday but nothing worth posting at the mo.

Ian M

Kresten just how long are the weekends in Aussie? lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yikes!

Well my first impression of the kit for the Tornado.......What a complicated way to build and aeroplane!

I would like to say no problem but I can see that the instructions for this build will either be tossed in the bin or studied VERY carefully!

A few firsts! I actually tried the decals for the cockpit. Not the most simple thing to get lined up so they match with all the knobs and buttons, but close enough. Also a first taking photos with my new "smart phone" (still learning how to use it!!!)

Any how, here are a couple of pictures of the last few days battle.

The seats are NOT from the kit, they are from NeoGama and are well worth the money!

View attachment 29663 View attachment 29665 View attachment 29666 View attachment 29664View attachment 29667

Hope the photos are OK, I had to resize them as they where a bit, erm, large!!!

Ian M

View attachment 34891

View attachment 34892

View attachment 34893

View attachment 34894

View attachment 34895

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well it's now grey. Not quite the 100% correct colours, but they are close enough and the contrast between the two is about as right as I can get it, from photos on the interwhatsit.

I know the underside of air craft are not the most interesting subject, but it is very hard to fine any good, well light photos of the belly of aircraft!!!

After these pictures where taken, I have done a small amount of detail painting, more on that next time.

View attachment 29969 View attachment 29971 View attachment 29968 View attachment 29970

Topsides are in a lightened medium sea grey, the bottom in Sky grey both Vallejo Model color

Wheel bays are in off white also Vallejo.

The reverse thrust buckets are in Alclad two: Gold titanium, with light burned metal over it then stripe of hot metal red, violet, blue and sepia and then a light dust of Light burned metal. The edges has just had a coat of Chrome to frame them off.

While I had the Alclad going I also did the chain gun panel is stainless steel and the two panels on the fin in light burned metal.

Coffee time..

Ian M

View attachment 35191

View attachment 35192

View attachment 35193

View attachment 35194

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Any one care to comment on which of the tanks would be most appropriate for a 56sq birdie- The ones with two tail fins of the ones with four???
The smaller 1500 ltr phenolic asbestos external fuel tanks (two fins) are used for more often than the big 2250 ltr 'Hindenberg' tanks (four fins). The big ones are generally used if the aircraft is going on a long flight to say Canada/Gulf etc etc.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Allyne, I am glad you said that because the 'Hindenberg' tanks that are with the kit, to be frank, look wrong. All the photos I have seen the four tail fins are symetrical in both size shape and placement. The kits fins are placed right at the end of the tank, and are a totally different shape, also the two top most fins are at a different angle to the lower ones. They just look very wrong compared to what I have seen. So I opted for the 1500lt ones. Phew!

On a more general note I would just like to say that the kit looks like a Tornado and some of the earlier grips from the "experts" have by the looks of things been attended to by HobbyBoss. On the negative side it is a very confusing build in as much as the instructions are not the most easy to follow and due to them missing a bit out, there is a second sheet that should be sort of in the middle of the first one. Paint call outs in the instructions during the build are also a bit few and far between.

The "front, middle and back" sectional approach is also some thing to think about. It does give some nasty joint problems that do need a lot of fettling and filler.

If I was to do another Tornado, Which I will, because they are a handsome beast, It will not be a Hobby Boss one. Not for a while at least. There are other kits that are almost as good but a lot easier to build.

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The 1500 ltr tanks did used to have four fins as well. But the top set of fins got in the way of the flaps on the tornado so they were removed and blanked off :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Found this link with a decent pic of what i mean. If you look just to the left at the top where it starts to say 'No Step' in black writing you'll see a four bolt blank. this is where the top fins used to be. But as you can see with the flaps extended they would hit these top fins should they be in place.

Here is the link as well. You can zoom in when you go to the website to see it clearer http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin2/tornado_gr4/Tornado%20GR.4%20Maple%20Flag%20010.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A-Ha! I was comparing the two types against each other just before I read this and concluded that they are pretty much the same size, a mm or two in it at the most. Not enough for an extra 1000 l fuel at least!

Looking at that picture Allyne, I think that the kit has provided the 1500 l tanks in two versions.

Thanks for the photo.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Kresten.

Are you getting near to starting yours yet?

I am now sitting engulfed in the not unpleasant smell of Johnsons klear and waiting for that to dry/harden.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Prrogressing very niceley Ian. Looking forward to the finished item.

Cheers

Andy

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ian. I'm just in the process of ordering the Aires resin cockpit and exhaust set for my 1/32 Tornado. If it comes out anything near as good as your kit then i'm going to be well chuffed

It's going to take me a long time to complete it though. I have;

Flightpath Flaps, slats and spoilers set

White metal undercarriage

Two resin Tornado crew

And i also have plans to scratch build the engine bay with one engine door open

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, lovely job so far, love the reverse bucket paint job. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ian. I'm just in the process of ordering the Aires resin cockpit and exhaust set for my 1/32 Tornado. If it comes out anything near as good as your kit then i'm going to be well chuffedIt's going to take me a long time to complete it though. I have;

Flightpath Flaps, slats and spoilers set

White metal undercarriage

Two resin Tornado crew

And i also have plans to scratch build the engine bay with one engine door open
Thanks Allyne. Sounds like a nice project you have there. I look forwards to seeing it develop. I fancy the idea of a 1/32 Fin, but fear it might be a bit big for my rapidly vanishing cabinet space!

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well they do have an F3 conversion for the 1/32 scale ;) :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have a question for you Allyne. Tornado's have arrester hooks. They practice catching the wire at Land based runways. Have you ever heard of or even seen one landing on an Aircraft carrier?

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I know the Germans looked into using the Tornado on carriers but as far as i know the British have never done it. But i await to be corrected on that. I have seen the arrestor hook being used on runways before because they are part of a safety system that is used should the aircraft need to stop in an emergency. The system in called Rotary Hydraulic Arrestor Gear (RHAG) and is operated in a similar way to systems found on Aircraft Carriers. The hook is deployed to stop the aircraft say like in the event of an engine failure whilst at rotate speed or in the event of brake failure.