Ian M; Madness will surely follow.

N

noble

This is looking very cool can't wait to see this when it's finished i do love the paint colours.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Scott.

I am holding off on the decals at the moment. Been working in the garden and have a serious case of the shakes in my hands and arms. So rather than make a mess of the decals I built a spitfire and am painting that at the moment!!!!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just had a thoroughly enjoyable read through this thread.That's some great stuff going on. I'd be a bit nervous of those decals too! It's a good looking scheme and I'm sure it will turn out okay.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The onset of insanity...

Right then I can't keep putting it off and now the weather has even turned against me (and I have run out of stainless steel screws). So I made a start on the Spots....

First job cut the decals out! Best specs on and a sharp pair of scissors need for this bit. They are very close to each other and the backing is all but invisible, which is a good thing I guess.

View attachment 31785

Then its a case of one or two at a time in the water bath.

View attachment 31786

After about 15 minutes you get the idea that they are not going to fit as per the plan. Some how there are more panel lines on the decal plan than there are on the kit...... Best guess time!

View attachment 31784

After half an hour, cross eyed and with sports before your eyes you have this.

View attachment 31783

I might do the tail this afternoon, then its on to the wings, then the fuselage. That should keep me quiet the next few days. The met office say there is rain on the way, so that might help me get on with it!!!

Ian M

View attachment 36759

View attachment 36760

View attachment 36761

View attachment 36762

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

B

beav1013

excellent start. i think it's safe to say i'm not jealous of you in applying those decals... i'm sure it will come out great though. good luck.

N

noble

This will look the dogs when completed, but i do not envy you here what a job good luck.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Aggggggggggghhhhh! Help!

It would seem that my masking for the demarcation from grey to orange was not that accurate!!! This has resulted in a nice grey area between the tear off decals and the orange.

Does any one know of a very safe way to mask over decals?

I was thinking along the lines of maskol masking fluid. Having never tried it over decals I was wondering if others have tried and how successful it was, i.e. did it leave the decal behind on the kit or did it pull it off with the mask.

The funny thing was I was so close to buying some friskit masking foil in the model shop this AM but thought nah, what would I use that for....... Now I know.

Any other suggestions greatfully received.

This is how far the spots have spread. The process has slowed right down due to the fact that there are way to many decals that have the same number. Even on the plan the numbers are shown several times. Now if the decals were the same no problem but as four very different shapes have the same number, both on the plan and on the decal sheet........ Confusion sets in and each one has to be found and compared to where you intend to put it. Pain in the bum! I had hope to have the spots sorted today!!!!

Ian M

View attachment 36788

View attachment 36789

View attachment 36790

View attachment 36791

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
OUCH!!!! Thats a real kick in the you know whats!!! If we're tossing ideas into the ring, how about trying cling film? Maybe if you placed it taut over the area with the decal and then carefully cut along the edge with a new blade (being see through would be a great help here) then spray the orange and hopefully remove without pulling the decals off? Just a thought, obviously i'd give it a try on some scrap first, the only other things i came up with were blu tack or maybe post it notes, both being sufficiently low in tack as to not disturb the decals. Good luck whatever you try it'd be a real shame if it didnt work out,i cant wait to see this one finished, cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Ian if you can get some silly putty would be a great mask as its very low tack,be a shame to damage the decals it really is looking good.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Ian,you did say at the start that "madness will surely follow" :smiling5:

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well as I have said in the "painting" section (more chance of more people seeing it I thought) I have resolved the problem with good old Tamiya masking tape. I just removed all but the last of the sticky, put it on and cut it with a new scalpel blade. Not the easiest stuff to see through, but It was good enough. A few touch-ups with the hairy stick after and it now looks like this.....

View attachment 31847 View attachment 31846

As per the norm looking at it 6X bigger on the screen, I can see it could of been better, but it's a lot better than it was.

Thanks for the tips, some of those will be getting tried some time.

Ian M

View attachment 36818

View attachment 36819

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Talk about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat!! Nice one Ian , ,this is going to look brilliant, cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
WOW Ian, looks great. But how are your eyes, are they still straight or crossed?

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL Trust me these went on in half hour sessions! Things did go a bit tits up towards the end, some of the decals refused to be found, some just could not be there. So it's not 100% accurate!!!

Pleased to say that I got the last of the decals on today and once they have had a chance to dry, its time for a top coat. Being a newly painted machine on her first run (and last :sad: ) she was still very clean and bright as a new penny, so gloss coat and no weathering.

Just need to put the legs on along with the tailerons and speed breakes.

Then I need a run way and a drag chute.....

More later. I have a hedge that needs cutting!!!! :sad:

Ian M

B

Boldman

Yup, I think I can fairly say that madness is definitely following :smiling3: You have much more patience that I could ever exhibit!