Ian M's 1/32 scale Bf 109G-6

S

Stevekir

Just a thought Ian - if you did white-tac snakes as the demarcation line, firing the a/b vertically down on it you will get a less 'solid' line and without the risk of building up a ridge.  This would make it easier to feather into the side mottling when you do it.  When doing mottle, just take your time, thin paint and very low air pressure... practise first!

Why the new smiley face barry? Have you come into the money?

57da4b800bc96_RegencyIFA033.jpg.fe3606f339bf2ffddbaf819e353e6376[1].jpg

K

Kressy_13

The camo is coming along well Ian. I'm sure you'll nail the mottle. Moving along at a good pace with this one. Keep up the good work mate.

B

Builder

Great work on painting the camo Ian mate. Really like how you did the curved camo. 

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the encouraging comments much appreciated. 

Right then, the moment of truth. Did I pull it off or should I stick with the RAF and Royal Navy....Much easier camouflage there! Especially the RN aircraft...LOL
Anyhow I dived into the mottle with my normal gusto mode. A quick squirt at the table top to check the mix and go for it!DSC_0304.JPG

DSC_0305.JPG

There are a couple of 'hard spots' but I can live with that. To soften the demarkation at the top of the aircraft's grey - green splinter, I first softened the edge with the appropriate colour as I did the mottle then tidied up a bit with the blue, along the demarkation and between the mottling. It did say in the paint guide that this had a "heavy mottle". 
So what is the verdict from all the Luftwaffe experts out there?

Did a few small bits, the spinner has now had FIVE coats of white and still looks like a four year old with a roller has painted it. Oh well. Later I will do the rear part of it Black green and put the blades back on. ( I had to twist them of as some pillock had put them on back to front  :$ ) 
Whats left? well the machine guns need painting and fixing. The exhausts need putting in and the landing gear needs to go on......Then its time for a pin wash and a bit of smoke stains from aforementioned guns and exhausts...Maybe after the decals have gone on :S  

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is starting to take real shape ,Ian,nice work with the camo so far, :D

B

Builder

Great job with those spots Ian, very hard to get right but you really pulled it off mate. Also that white stripe is done very well, I have tried doing it a few times and I usually get it wrong, so great work there mate. 

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nicely done.

I keep saying that this sort of mottle is really not that difficult to do with an airbrush, but no one believes me!!!!! Yours looks great.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So started to put the decals down. Most are behaving well but will need a bit if Micro-sol to get them into the detail.
DSC_0320.JPGDSC_0321.JPG
I have gotten the national markings on, Just need the swastika's on the tail. then its onwards with all the tiny marks. Frame numbers on the fuselage. Seriously? LOL

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
 Frame numbers on the fuselage. Seriously? LOL

At least they are only on one side!

I took a pragmatic decision that the ones on my current 1/72 build had been over painted during the local application of increased mottle and general darkening of the fuselage sides ;)

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
At least they are only on one side!

I took a pragmatic decision that the ones on my current 1/72 build had been over painted during the local application of increased mottle and general darkening of the fuselage sides ;)

Cheers

Steve

Now that's an idea.... B|

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Excellent mottle Ian.  Looking really good. 

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Last edited by a moderator: