Ian M's 101st Airbourn with a difference.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Here is the first of the two ideas that I have for this build.

No box shot I'm afraid as it is a left over from a landing craft build from an earlier group build.

Here are the sprue shots though. Its a 1/4 ton truck, a Willis to you and I. I will be building the option of the 101st airborne division. So hold on to your hats!

View attachment 40558 View attachment 40559

I will be needing to get a few figures, and having NEVER done and American unit before now, I will be after all kinds of help!!!

Ian M

View attachment 44245

View attachment 44246

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice subject Ian. I hope the jeep isn't going to be dropped from a Dakota!

I've been on the hunt for decent 1/35 101st or 82nd U.S. Paratroopers for ages. They are very scarce (good ones that is) I know there are resin ones, but who would pay the crazy prices asked for a single figure?

Considering the vital role these blokes played in Operation Overlord and after, I'm surprised there are not more plastic kits available.

Good luck with the build.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Looking forward to seeing your ideas take shape Ian. It sounds like an interesting project.

Cheers

Patrick

B

Bunker-Boys

That's a decent Willys. I built it OOB awhile back and it fit together pretty good. Still working on the LCVP that came with it...

P

Polux

Hello Ian!!

Good to see you are doing this 'Crash' SIG too!

Have fun

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A slight change in plans. Dont worry its still going to be that same kit, I will just be crashing it is the desert and some where along the line turn it into an SAS Jeep...sort of thing.

Ian M

P

Polux

Interesting Ian...in a few days, now we have Spanner's 1/35 normal SAS, my big 1/6 Desert Rider and your crashed jeep SAS!!!

We have all!!! Looking forward to see it!

All the best.

P

Polux

\ said:
Interesting Ian...in a few days, now we have Spanner's 1/35 normal SAS, my big 1/6 Desert Rider and your crashed jeep SAS!!!We have all!!! Looking forward to see it!

All the best.
Excuse, I have said it wrong, Centurion (John), excuse

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
That's a decent Willys. I built it OOB awhile back and it fit together pretty good. Still working on the LCVP that came with it...
LOL I built the LCVP first and put the jeep in a draw...

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the weekend came and, more or less went. Did I get a lot done? Well if you count changing a work top in the kitchen and installing a new sink, preparing the walls form painting and jomping around every DIY shop in the area to find a few small bits and bobs, the answer would be yes.

Got to the bench at 19:00 after finding out I need a couple of 1/2 x 3/8 reducers before I can install the new mixer. dug!

Got a few bits of kit stuck together and have started to beat it up a bit. I am hoping that when done it will look like it has been parked in a tree or rock at a fair speed. This is the build so far.

View attachment 41067 View attachment 41068

Ian M

View attachment 44726

View attachment 44727

crash01.jpg

crash02.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Nice work Ian, looks like an expensive insurance job to me lol. Will be watching this one.

Cheers

Andy

P

Polux

What a hell!! I hope that the airbag was working!!!

Nice work Ian

C

CDW

looks broke to me .... reminds me of my misspent youth at the banger track :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Colin, makes me think of my driving test.........

Did a bit more this evening, got the axles and springs on and messed up the steering rods a little.

I also thought I would try "rays" trick with the silver foil seat covers. I built the trail as well but not sure thats in the picture yet.

Here's the days pictures.

View attachment 41192 View attachment 41193 View attachment 41194

Oh there is a basic motor in the kit, so that has been glued together as well forgot to take a picture of it yet, I'll grab one tomorrow before I prime it.

The frames for the canvas roof got the chop for some made of brass wire, so I could open them up a bit.

Ian M

View attachment 44820

View attachment 44821

View attachment 44822

crash03.jpg

crash04.jpg

crash05.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Ian, I like the crash damage - gonna be a good build!

Looking forward to seeing it finished

All the best

P

M

mobear

looks a bit like my old garage with drills and bits plus a body in the backgroung(oh those were the days ..........)

mobear