Ian M's HMS HOOD. Trumpeter 1/200

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
How about mixing 2 dots of the new paint with one dot of the old and see if you like the result ?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That would have been a good idea Colin, if the old pot still had paint in it! lol It is totally empty to the point of being clean enough to use again!

Any how. After a very amusing sesion of pulling bits apart (One good thing about gluing prepainted parts is the join is strong enough to hold well but weak enough to be able to get things apart again), I had bits of ship all over the shop! Only managed to ping a couple of bits of PE off, but found them again and all is well.
Then after a masking session to mask the deck areas that have been painted, I could spend an enthralling hour or so mounting parts to paint them again.
Today saw me at the paint bench painting them. I still have a few bits to do but having used the paint I had thinned down, I thought it a good place to stop for the day.
Here is the damage so far.
DSC_0612.JPG DSC_0613.JPG DSC_0614.JPG DSC_0615.JPG DSC_0616.JPG DSC_0617.JPG
All of the parts above are now sporting a nice, if rather dull Dark Admiralty Grey. AP507B which was the colour the Hood was painted two weeks prior to her fateful meeting with Bismark.
DSC_0618.JPG
This is what is left to re-paint and that will either be later today or tomorrow. The main hull and all the bits on deck, the main guns and what not's also need a coat or two. A deck or two will need a new coat of MS3 as they where to awkward to mask. Then it is onward and upward! Yeah.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well yesterday was wet and windy and so far today is grey on grey. What a pity, I will just have to spend some time in the cave.
So yesterday saw me playing with masking again. Word of advise/warning; if you are going to do a 1/200 scale war canoe, be sure to have plenty of tape, blades and, lol, paint!
DSC_0619.JPG
First the boot topping was marked off. A good tip here: If you have one of those third hand things, just set it up with one clamp and one clip. A thin pencil is then put in the clamp and with the hull standing flat and firm on the bench, I used blobs of white tac, set the height of the pencil and carefully draw the base of the third hand along the bench so the pencil just leaves a line on the hull for either the top or bottom of the boot topping, or plimsoll line if you prefer that name. Run the tape so that it covers where the line should be.
I then sprayed the top section of the hull grey. Then I took off the tape with the strips of plastic bag and moved them down to along the bottom of the tape for the black line. Once that is down, carefully take the tape for the actual line and move that up to the top edge of the topping. I then painted the black line WITH A BRUSH! (yes thats right a brush!). Then i removed the tape as soon as I was done. Its not perfect but then boot toppings never are in real life*. A few places need a tiny touch up but otherwise good enough for me.
*(painted often while still in the water, it called for calm water, empty ballast tanks, as light a load as possible and a couple of dozen seamen with buckets and brushes. The lower edge was often pretty hit and miss due to the lapping of the waves and the willingness of the seaman to get wet feet).
Nuff about that.
DSC_0620.JPG
Boot topping painted:
DSC_0625.JPG
And here without the tape:
DSC_0626.JPG
Oh I also needed to mask the entire top side off to avoid overspray. Sticky notes blocks are rather handy it turns out.
DSC_0622.JPG
Painted the decks a bit atop the roof just behind the conning tower. Some say hull colour and cortisene others say the same grey as the steel decks. Having now done both I think this looks best (and most believable).
DSC_0623.JPG
Needed to paint the deck again on this. I forgot to mask it off and it ended up rather grey. Now once again the same colour as the steel decks.
DSC_0624.JPG
Spent ages repainting the vents. First black then dry brushed with the hull colour.

Here she is: Note that the superstructures are only placed and not glued. The funnels are still wet so not on her just now.
I must say that I rather like her in her battle paint. DSC_0627.JPG DSC_0628.JPG
Having gotten this far I can add some of the hundreds of small boxes and lockers and clear the bench a bit. Then I might just take a pause for a while.... (A stuka and a Spook GB are long over due).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like it Ian, I like it a lot.

That last pickie gives a good indication as to the size of the brute. Top work!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So I spent a while gluing ready ammo lockers, boxes, cable rollers and winches all over the place. I have one winch that I just cant find a home for! I dare say it will come out of hiding later...
Conning tower still only dry fitted, as are the funnels, but everything else is nailed down. I now only have the small cannons, pom-pom guns, UP launchers and a couple of bandstands left on the ready to mount holder!
The decks are starting to busy up but there are hundreds of bits to go yet and a good portion of PE as well.
As I wrote befor, now would be a good a time as any to take a pause from this and build something quick and simple.
DSC_0630.JPG
Every one of the high lockers had to have the locating lug sanded down as they are to big for the holes. Good job there are only 35 of them!
DSC_0631.JPG
Funnels and forward superstructures just dry fitted
DSC_0632.JPG
Decks swabbed and ready for action with a bit more simple build. Right now I am making a holder for all the 'go to' tools, files, tweezers, that kind of thing.
Just spent some time running a bit of Ash wood from the firewood through the table saw.... More on that later.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking real nice Ian,well done so far,liking this one,;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
To save my sanity while trying to get to grips with the camouflage on the Stuka, I though I would try something a bit easier.
DSC_0676.JPG
DSC_0677.JPG
Made a run at the PE stairs and rails on the observation (?) decks. I will swing a hairy stick at them later. There are four stairways that will need painting befor they get stuck on as they are all but hidden from sight. Enough that you can see them, just no way to get at them after fitting with a brush!
Only another 30 odd sets of stairs to make! Once they are done I can stick the main structures in place.
The next thrilling installment will be the painting and fitting off loads of boat stands. vents and other odds and sods.

A question. Having never seriously rigged a battle ship before, (this is only the second one I have built), Is it better to rig the whole lot in one go or do it in sub sections? This is the bit I am dreading the most and really do not want to fail! I have a couple of hundred meters of rigging thread at the ready.

G

Graham D

Ian, when I did the 1/350th hood I rigged the sub sections, I found it made it a lot easier. I also bought eyelets from L'Arsenal, which I used as tie off points on the deck and superstructure. I do not know if they do a 1/200 version.

M

MrGotty

Wow, this is huge! Loving the progress so far Ian, keep up the good work! :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So still here and I am doing bits here and there, Right now I appear to have a production line for stair on the go.
DSC_0678.JPG
Still a good few left to make but after a couple of hours of these, my eyes need a rest. lol.
The plan is to build all the PE that I can, prime and then spray them while I have the paint in the airbrush to spray the main guns... Well that's the theory anyway. Then I can paint the treads and glue them on to their respective places.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just thought I would bring you up to date on this build.
After suffering from modelling burnout syndrome, I took a long break from the hobby room and just popped in from time to time to hold the cobwebs at bay.
Anyway... I have spent a few hours here and there mounting dozens of tiny vents and ducts and boxes.
cut from the sprue, sand, mount for painting, prime, paint, find out where the heck it's ment to be fitted and finally glue it in place!
If you thought building single link tank tracks is a pain; you will look this! :eek:
I will try to grab a photo or two in the morning. Today the sun was blasting in through the window and making photos rather impossible....

I can look forwards to such joys as the railings and rigging Those will make all else seem simple.....o_O

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
here are some photos of the last couple of days fun..
DSC_0784.JPG DSC_0785.JPG DSC_0786.JPG DSC_0787.JPG DSC_0788.JPG DSC_0789.JPG
A lot less empty positioning holes than there was, but there are still quite a few. Most of which are either very fine plastic or PE. And dont get me started on the railings... Just spent 1/2 an hour putting two railings on the mast crows nest and crane platform..... Jeezzzz.

J

John Rixon

This is pretty impressive Ian, your PE work looks the biz, such a big project - but it looks like you've put some hours in already!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very impressive Ian I think things may get even more fiddly but ultimately rewarding.
This is going to be one hell of a model and something to be proud of.
Cheers
P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps- need the encouragement lol.