Ian M's Lightning

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just to let you know I have not forgotten this one, I just want the Adaro out of the way as it does take up a bit of room.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the Arado is off the bench and I have had a tidy up :eek: so there is room to dig the frightening out of hiding and make a restart on her.:cool:

watch this space. ;)

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I forgot you were doing the 74sqdn one Ian.I was going to do the kit supplied natural metal scheme at first.Then I saw Papa695 was doing that one so I ordered a different decal set.I will probably do the 23sqdn one now.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It's no problem for me Dave I just have most of the aircraft flown by 74. so its one more for the collection....

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then... Lets have a look then.

View attachment 77174

View attachment 77175

Having gotten the Aires wheel bay set, the first thing to do was to remove the Flightpath parts that I started with. A quick ping with a knife sorted that out, View attachment 77177

Now you see it.. View attachment 77178

Now you don't!
The moulded on walls have to go as well. You could scratch them away with a knife, or do it the quick way. I chose the latterView attachment 77176

View attachment 77180

That took two minutes!
View attachment 77181

View attachment 77182

But the resin wells are rather thick. Its the casting process and just one of those things. Sand paper, dust mask and patience.
Once the tops are paper thin and you can see light through them STOP!

I then fix the new well to the wings bottom half and carefully sand the part and the inside of the top wing part until I can get the wings glue surfaces to meet.

You end up with a wing that is a tiny bit thicker by the wheel end of the wheel bay, but I can live with that....sort of.

When the clamps are off I'll post another picture.

Ian M

View attachment 77179

IMAG1366.jpg

IMAG1367.jpg

IMAG1368.jpg

IMAG1369.jpg

IMAG1370.jpg

IMAG1371.jpg

IMAG1372.jpg

IMAG1373.jpg

IMAG1374.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well while the weather outside was doing this: View attachment 77302

I was in the warm doing this: View attachment 77304

I got the Wheel bays in and the two halves of the wing together, View attachment 77305

as you can see the thinnest of the wing has only minimal thickening. I can live with it.
Today, I got the cockpit in and got the Fuselage nailed shut. LOTS of dry fitting and sanding. partly my own fault. I had some lead that had to go in to weep the nose wheel on the deck. That might of gotten in the way and had pushed the rear part of the canopy mount up and to the side !!! View attachment 77306

This old kit (its one of the original boxings) has suffered a bit and the two halves of the fuselage were a bit twisted and were a bugger to get lined up. Filler was involved!View attachment 77307

I thought I would put the tanks on this one. Cant find proof that 74 used them but I thought why not. Something a bit different.View attachment 77303

Thats it for today.

Ian M

IMAG1375.jpg

IMAG1376.jpg

IMAG1377.jpg

IMAG1378.jpg

IMAG1379.jpg

IMAG1380.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Ian

I think I would rather have the weather your getting than the wind and rain here

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Looking very good IanI think I would rather have the weather your getting than the wind and rain here
Oh trust me we got that to. It's just the last week its been falling in solid form. Nearly all gone again now.

Been sticking a few covers and vents on, not much to show.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Ian. As for the fuel tanks on 74's Lightning F.6's:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Joe. Great photo...

The Alchemy Begins:

Primed it with Black Alclad primer yesterday, then gave it a rub down with a fine polishing cloth. Today I have given it the first of the coats of gloss black... When its had a day to cure, I'll give it a quick swipe and a second coat if I think it needs it.

View attachment 77453

View attachment 77454

View attachment 77455

View attachment 77456

There are a few bits on a stick that have had gloss on the 'outside' surfaces and will remain flat on the inner surfaces.... Thinking about it, I might just gloss the undersides... :tongue-out: Forgot that.... lol

Ian M

IMAG1381.jpg

IMAG1382.jpg

IMAG1383.jpg

IMAG1384.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking superb Ian , the primer looks great , no loss of detail there. Looking forward to seeing the silver, cheers tony

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You know Ian, the priming is something that I seem to struggle with, especially when it is used as pre-shading. When I then attempt the top colour I tend to bleed out the shading. Nice coating though and as said no loss of detail. A lovely choice of fighter you have done, something really special about the Lightning.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Looks good Ian.Ive got some Alclad black primer and aluminium which I will be using for the first time on my Lightning.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well it's shiny...

well I have been playing with the Alclad, lets see if I can remember which ones.

Here are the overwings, first in gloss black, then Airframe Aluminium.View attachment 77613

View attachment 77614

A tad too shiny?
The fuselage and wings have had: Airframe Alu. Dull Alu, White Alu. Polished Alu. Stainless steel and steel.

The nose ring got Stainless steel.

View attachment 77612

View attachment 77615

The vertical stab. and the canopy have had a couple of coats of gloss black.

She is now sitting with a gloss clear coat. When thats dry, I'll do a pin wash on the panel lines and a bit of soot and oil here and there.

Ian M

IMAG1384.jpg

IMAG1390.jpg

IMAG1391.jpg

IMAG1402.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think when you have done your pin wash etc and toned it down the shininess will go leaving a wonderful fuselage. Very nice Ian, keep watching how you do this to help in my builds.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Dave
I like that Alclad finish.Looking forward to trying mine out.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
OOH! Shiny!!Its going to look fantastic when its had the washes etc. , Cheers tony

Z

Ziper_it

Your builds are excellent (and fast) and this is no less.

Looking for more.

Francesco

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
WARNING the following pictures are NOT pretty !

Went to do the pin wash yesterday and it was being very uncooperative. So today I gave it a bath. Black Windsor and Newton oil paint and turps!

I'll leave that until tomorrow and then wipe it over to remove the excess. Well thats the plan.

View attachment 77780

View attachment 77781

Todles!

Ian M

IMAG1408.jpg

IMAG1409.jpg