Ian M's Meteor

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the choice has fallen for a View attachment 50518.

So much is sure. As for the paint on it I am still checking.

One Idea is a FAA version, Dark Sea Grey over Sky or white. I know that the Navy did trials with an 8 but I believe that was bare metal. The few photos I have been able to fine it looks like a NMF, So I might be OK. If any one Just happens to know other wise please say so!

A second option is to do a bit of chopping and bashing and make a Meteor Hog, with an appropriate paint job.

I will see how hard it will be to Change it a bit....

Ian M

View attachment 53200

IMAG0610.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi Ian, would be a shame to cutting into a very nice kit mate. Go with the Navy version, it has the right shape to pull it off.

Have fun, John

PS. don't know why but the Hawker Sea Hawk just came to my mind lol.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ian , there was a Royal navy Meteor F3 (EE337 code FD) used for deck landing trials in 1948. It was painted in the standard for the time, extra dark sea grey over sky ,like the sea fury. There was another meteor used as well but im not sure if it was in this scheme or Nat metal. The Hog idea sounds very interesting! cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Ian , there was a Royal navy Meteor F3 (EE337 code FD) used for deck landing trials in 1948. It was painted in the standard for the time, extra dark sea grey over sky ,like the sea fury. There was another meteor used as well but im not sure if it was in this scheme or Nat metal. The Hog idea sounds very interesting! cheers tony
And thats why i build armour lol, nice one Tony. Ian, looks like you're cutting it up mate.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Tony! I was afraid that there was a painted one. The four or five photos I found where all NMF, I had seen a few models in grey over sky, but half of them where on a what if forum!!!

Nah! Chopping aint going to be easy as half the motor nasels are moulded into the wing. So it looks like my humble little project has hit a bump in the runway already. I'll think of something.

Ian M

C

CDW

well to be honest I'm lost with all this FFA and NMF stuff .....

ill just wait for a finished jobbie that looks like the doggies dangly bits as usual ok.

C

Caledonia

Don't chop it up Ian, its a lovely aircraft, used to be stationed near our house in the 1950's. Cheers Derek

P

Polux

Hi Ian!

Is obligatory a camouflage's plane? There are very interesting camouflages of military clothes (current and WWII), perhaps are a good inspiration...

All the best with your choise!

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Don't chop it up Ian, its a lovely aircraft, used to be stationed near our house in the 1950's. Cheers Derek
I could not bring myself to it Derek. So sleep easy that man.

Polux, It does not HAVE to be Camouflage just a military paint scheme or in some cases, space cadets :smiling:

Have got the worst of the glueing together out of the way, next will be a splosh of primer.

View attachment 50584 View attachment 50585

Bit of a giggle to get the wing, the fillet and the Fuselage to all meet up in the right places hence the clamps!

Ian M

View attachment 53255

View attachment 53256

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now sitting watching primer dry! Bored out of my skull! Should of gone fishing after all lol

Ian M

J

John Huggins

Looking good Ian.

Cant wate to see the end product.

John

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thats looking great so far Ian, can't wait to see the scheme you've chosen.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The idea is that the preshading will show through the paint and make it appear darker. In truthif you give it just a micro to much top paint its a waste of time. Get it right and it looks pretty good.

Ian M

First Name
Andy
\ said:
The idea is that the preshading will show through the paint and make it appear darker. In truthif you give it just a micro to much top paint its a waste of time. Get it right and it looks pretty good.Ian M
Thank you Sir for that, it was just one of those things I have often wondered but never asked...

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I can't believe how far you've got Ian, pre shading is looking smart mate.

Have fun, John