Identifying paint colours in your box

W

wbk666

If like me you keep your paints in a drawer of box and can only see them from the top it can be fiddly trying to find the right bottle.

what ive started doing is painting the bottle top with the colour its on.

I know its nothing earth shattering but someone might find it useful lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I normally put a drop of the paint in the little dimple in the top of the lid. I found that painting the top, the paint always wore off after a while.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great tip wayne , i do this with my vallejo paints too, mainly because the colour you can see in the bottle is totally different to the colour when dry, cheers tony

W

wbk666

if only they'd make bigger bottles of it, i find certain colours i can go through very quickly.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use enamels and stick a little label with the number (like an RLM number,not the paint manufacturer's number) or name (like "DE" for Dark Earth or "Gun" for gummetal) on the lid. I also write the info on the side of the tinlet.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a neat solution Lauries and looks good too.

I have to keep mine in draws so I'm initially only able to see the top of the lid! Also my system is fairly random. I do keep camouflage colours seperate from generic colours. When I'm working on a project I use an old CD storage box to keep the colours I'm frequently using in. This means I don't have to keep fishing them out of the main storage draws where they are harder to find.

Cheers

Steve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Great idea Wayne, never thought of that. When looking for my valleyo colours I do a lot of fishing around. and because the enamel tins have got their colours on the lid I only stick a bit of paper with the name and number on the side of the tin for reference.

This'll be some thing to do while I wait for stuff to dry.

Thanks for the tip mate.

Tony.

W

wbk666

\ said:
View attachment 51049Or this. Timber cost about £6 from B & Q.

See all the colours one against the other & does not clutter the work place & if you are an ordered type colours are all in numerical order.

Laurie
id love something like that be me and woodwork just dont see eye to eye :sad: lol

W

wbk666

\ said:
Great idea Wayne, never thought of that. When looking for my valleyo colours I do a lot of fishing around. and because the enamel tins have got their colours on the lid I only stick a bit of paper with the name and number on the side of the tin for reference.This'll be some thing to do while I wait for stuff to dry.

Thanks for the tip mate.

Tony.
i tend to do it to use up that little bit of paint you can never get to tip back out of the bowl.

waste not want not ;)

T

tecdes

Dead easy Wayne. If you can make models then this is simple. Just a tape measure saw & stapler or panel pins (B & Q).

About an hour of time. And then you have a little gem.

Laurie

M

m1ks

I use humbrol enamels and tamiya acrylics.

4 citadel Metallics and a couple of alclad.

They're all stored in numerical order and the paint charts are on my wall, very easy to find what I want.

Reference the relevant paint chart, note the number then pick it from the gloss/satin/matte/metallic drawer.

W

wbk666

\ said:
Dead easy Wayne. If you can make models then this is simple. Just a tape measure saw & stapler or panel pins (B & Q).About an hour of time. And then you have a little gem.

Laurie
dead easy... you'd think so wouldnt you?

but no. im ok with these little plastic things but rubbish with wood or metal :sad:

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
dead easy... you'd think so wouldnt you?but no. im ok with these little plastic things but rubbish with wood or metal :sad:
Or another option is marry a carpenters daughter like I did..... I asked him nicely and next day had a set of model paint shelves in the shed :smiling3:

I'm quite surprised actually than none of the paint/airbrush companies or model shops haven't come up with a kit.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Or another option is marry a carpenters daughter like I did..... I asked him nicely and next day had a set of model paint shelves in the shed :smiling3: I'm quite surprised actually than none of the paint/airbrush companies or model shops haven't come up with a kit.
They have:

Paint Bottle Rack; Andrea, Model Color/Air, Vallejo | eBay

TAMIYA 74077 Paint Jar Bottle Stand MODEL CRAFT TOOL | eBay

Unfortunately these things would only be useful for keeping the colours you are using on the kit you're building. No good for ALL the paint colours you need!

Gern