If you go down to the woods today.......My 190

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I present my completed effort for the G/B.

As you know the kit was bad so I didn't attempt to do a detailed job, 'cos there wasn't any!

So off I goes on a tangent...

I had intended to do a simple diorama showing Gern's 190 being restored in a hanger with all the control surfaces on a bench being fettled, but I couldn't find any suitable 1/48 figures....Stumped!!

It was after I had finished painting the thing with still no idea what to do to hide the lack of detail, I came across a picture of what turned out to be my subject...

In 1989( I think) an Fw190 was found in a forest nr. St. Petersburg.

Research showed it had engine failure whilst attacking Russian targets in July 1943 and crash landed. The pilot survived but was taken prisoner by the Russians.

When the engine was stripped down during restoration, bits of rag where found in the oilways, so one of the slave labourers did his bit for the war effort!!!

Using a bit of 'Licence' and the picture I found, I have tried to capture how it looked.

Why so little damage? Where the aircraft crash landed there were no trees, but 40 odd years later there were!!

I hope you like the pictures.

Ron

Sorry people I didn't realise how many pickies there are, and I don't know how to delete some!!!!!

View attachment 23058

View attachment 23059

View attachment 23060

View attachment 23061

View attachment 23062

View attachment 23063

View attachment 23064

View attachment 23065

View attachment 23066

View attachment 23067

View attachment 23068

View attachment 23069

View attachment 23070

View attachment 23071

View attachment 23072

View attachment 23073

View attachment 23074

View attachment 23075

View attachment 23076

View attachment 23077

View attachment 23078

View attachment 23079

View attachment 23080

View attachment 23081

View attachment 23082

View attachment 23083

FW 190 049..jpg

FW 190 051..jpg

FW 190 057..jpg

FW 190 058..jpg

FW 190 062..jpg

FW 190 053..jpg

FW 190 066..jpg

FW 190 047..jpg

FW 190 045..jpg

FW 190 063..jpg

FW 190 048..jpg

FW 190 046..jpg

FW 190 059..jpg

FW 190 068..jpg

FW 190 056..jpg

FW 190 050..jpg

FW 190 061..jpg

FW 190 044..jpg

FW 190 054..jpg

FW 190 067..jpg

FW 190 069..jpg

FW 190 065..jpg

FW 190 052..jpg

FW 190 055..jpg

FW 190 064..jpg

FW 190 060..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Brilliant Ron,absolutely brilliant. I wouldn't worry about deleting any photos,I enjoyed them all. I think someone already pointed out that the diversity of subjects and ingenuity of their interpretation has really made this GB worthwhile. And I say that as someone who's just building a regular model!!! Cripes I might even try some sort of base LOL.

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Well, what can i say Ron. Don't you dare delete any, this is a masterpiece and she doe's look like she was lost for 40 odd years too. To say this kit didn't have a lot of detail you have put a lot back into it mate, well done.

:grinball2: John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well done Ron. Yet another master piece from the diorama master!

Looks like its been there for ever.

A nice surprise too. You kept that one under your hat.

big five from me!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you boy's for the very nice comments and the big 5...I really do get a buzz on (as we all do, no doubt) when I read such nice posts.

I had the thing all painted and decals on and still not knowing what I was going to do with it up until Monday evng. when I found the photo!!

In my opening blurb, I forgot to give a description of how I did the weathering, sorry, so here, briefly is how I did it:-

After I had finished the aircraft I weathered it with a brush in a downward motion with well watered down acrylic dk. grey, green and brown, letting each colour flow into each other.

From a discarded last years Wren's nest I found up the garden, I used some bone dry moss and crumpled it to a green dust. Then I applied some watered down PVA to the model where I wanted the moss and sprinkled it on, flicking the residue off...That is all I did really. Another free diorama from the garden!! lol

The base is a bit of 10"x10" plywood covered and moulded to shape with floor tile sticky.

I laid the 190 on it and marked where the trees ect. could go, then into the garden for ground rubbish, scale trees and saplings. I made holes in the base and stuck in the trees and applied the rubble.

I put the 190 back on the dio. and sprinkled some more rubbish on the whole thing....As T.Vs DIY man Tommy Walsh would say.."Job done!"

Ian, the solution was a bit of a surprise to me too, now we can both sit back or at least build summat different!LOL

Cheers,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a real smasher young Ron! Fabulous!

It makes me kind of glad I nicked your original idea - 'cos we wouldn't have seen this if I hadn't! LOL.

I just hope I can finish mine to some half-decent standard to justify you not doing your version!

Can you give us a link to the original 'photo?

Gern

F

Fenlander

WOW, I agree, no need to delete any pictures Ron. This is a superb build and very atmospheric. You have really captured what I would imagine it would look like. Trouble is, mine will look boring in comparison lol.

Stunning job as always Ron and well worth the 5 stars

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Young Ron, you'll do me mate!

Thanks for the message. There is no doubt in my mind you will do justice to our very own 'Pig'

Being a 'muter dinosaur I don't know how to post links...but I know someone who does, so after she's cooked the tea I will get the present Mrs. Ron to send you all the link. There is actually a 2 min video taken by the finders of the wreck. I / she will send that too.

Cheers Dave,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ron me old mucker ,lovely to see the spanner treatment dished out to an aircraft, great atmosphere to the piece , as always (especially the b/w shots). I bet you enjoyed this one so much youll be looking for another nice old kit from fujimi eh!!? cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Ron me old mucker ,lovely to see the spanner treatment dished out to an aircraft, great atmosphere to the piece , as always (especially the b/w shots). I bet you enjoyed this one so much youll be looking for another nice old kit from fujimi eh!!? cheers tony
Yo Tony', glad you like it mate. Funnily enough I did eventually come round to liking it, especially when I was hacking it to bits!!

FUJIMI!!!!! Good job I hold a position of some merit here or......

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

Ron mate i've just seen these shots and iam also giving you the big five stars, that is incredible mate all the photos are cool, you have done a superb job on that kit i love it hope you won't be too disapointed with mine when im done, it is no where near as imaginative as this.

FANTASTIC.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The 5!! Thanks very much Scott, glad you like it.

But, don't forget no one is out to be better than the next and each of us in the build has a different take on it.

It was unfortunate that Gern and I bought the same duff kit, so dioramas were our only option. Having said that, when I look at the superb detail the lads and lady are putting into their 190's, I'm glad I got away with slapping mud and dead leaves on my effort!!

Imagination? All I did was scroll through 'tinternet 'till I found something suitable then hacked the kit to bits!

So, build away and your model will stand with the rest on the Scale Models shelf as equal.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hear hear Ron.

I can't compete with the sort of quality I see here on a daily basis and I'm glad I can also cover mine with silt to hide some of the shortcomings!

I also gotta say I wouldn't submit photos of my work on any other forums I've seen, they're FAR too critical. On here there's no such fears - just friendly help!

Gern

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant, I can almost feel the atmosphere as I 'discover' the downed plane whilst walking the dog. Your photo's really convey the mood very well. Nice one, well impressed.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Brilliant, I can almost feel the atmosphere as I 'discover' the downed plane whilst walking the dog. Your photo's really convey the mood very well. Nice one, well impressed.
Thanks Colin, glad you like it. Don't let the dog cock his leg though, eh?

Ron

J

JFJ

Wow Ron you have outdone yourself AGAIN. Far better than the Stuka or the 109

C

colprit

Ron it's so realistic i thought I was in the forrest with it brilliant work yet again

C

Caledonia

Well Ron, it never fails to amaze me how much imagination some people have, truly superb. The dio is unbelievable, can almost hear the birds singing. Derek

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the delay in replying boys, but I've been AWOL!!!!! and I'm trying to catch up with all the new stuff on the forum, fat chance! LOL

Thanks to all of you for the very kind remarks about this dio. much appreciated....

Cheers,

Ron