imagination running wild again

First Name
rob
Still tinkering on with the layout and realised that I haven't got a fiddle yard. ...ie ..a separate hidden area to place trains,rolling stock etc ready for running...?......my shed is tiny so I thought about running the track on a downhill route under the layout to create an underground level as a fiddle yard. Then I thought. .that could become anot her layout. But why would a 1960s village have an underground level

how about this....the village was compulsory purchased by the mod in 1978 as a potential training facility for ground troops. Because of its location next to the coastline, rail infastructre and it's remoteness, what could be better. However,no troops ever came. The only newcomers were miners. By the hundreds. Rail freight moved in darkness for two years.the locals presumed that the nearby colliery had hit the big time. In 1980, the evoirenment agency sealed off the village to a ten mile radius citing that recurrent mining activity had made the land prone to subsidence and therefore banned any building work or development to the area. In 1994, the national Trust obtained the land lease from the mod under the condition that dew gill yargell remains untouched and retains its capacity as a museum village with strict criteria for residents.

to this day,there remains a conspiracy theory that the British ministry of defence built a deep underground testing and storage facility called neff 4 and used the village as a smokescreen. Fiddle yard or d.u.m.b.............................?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like the idea Rob. Don't forget, it is your layout, and what you want it be. Go for it mate, sounds intriguing.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Why not ask Ron? He's our resident local expert at finding all sorts of answers to such dio dilemmas (ask him about kids swimming in local manholes!) :D :D

First Name
rob
Going to make it as a modern underground area 51 with a freight line going through it.perhaps hangers with strange sci fi crafts. Maybe a ww2 u boat in dry dock with scientists working on it. Mothballed jet fighters............

B

Benhur

Most small layouts have a fiddle yard below the main layout with a spiral taking locos up or down.