Industria Mechanika 1/35 The Hornethopter

O

OneSmallStep1966

I received some great feedback on my initial colour scheme that confirmed what I inwardly knew yesterday, that it wasn't right.
The problem was that real Hornets tend to have two primary colours, yellow and dark, and the copper I'd used for the dark panels wasn't right, so after a dip and strip in cellulose gun wash, time to try again.

This time I used brass on all of the abdomen top panels to represent Yellow and AK Xtreme Bronze for all the underside and top connecting panels. (The legs and centre support section will be painted in iron/dark iron).

My pictures aren't that good (the bronze doesn't look as brown) and show it with no other work done (buffing, washes, etc), but I think (hope) it now better represents a real Hornet abdomen done in metal?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Norman
I think that looks much better, more harmonious. I think the copper added too many tones to the whole..looks much more like a hornet as well.
Cheers
Tim

O

OneSmallStep1966

That does look good Norman. ( but this is just me I quite like the first one better. )
Thank you, but I felt it wasn’t going in the right direction before because I was trying to capture the essence of a real Hornet.
But don’t worry, I also have their Dragonfly kit, and since Dragonfly’s come in many interesting colours I’ll be sure to do lots of contrasting colours on that :thumb2:

P

Polux

Nice work!
Anyway, I think, paint this model is quite difficult...isn’t it? Is not easy to choice the right color!

O

OneSmallStep1966

Nice work!
Anyway, I think, paint this model is quite difficult...isn’t it? Is not easy to choice the right color!
There are no painting guides with these models, because they are 100% sci-fi fantasy, they leave that to your imagination :smiling3:
Most examples of this model are shown painted in a dark grey finish, but I wanted mine to loosely resemble a real Hornet with yellow in it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Living this one. I do like the new colours you have used, much more menacing.
I can see that I am going to have to save up for some of these industria mechanika jobs.

O

OneSmallStep1966

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Today I completed the head (minus antennae) using Tamiya Brown Panel Line accent and Tamiya Clear Blue paint.
The clear lenses push-fit into the eye sockets and magnify the hexagonal pattern to achieve a great bug-eye effect (once again, I found this super-difficult to photograph and they look much better in person).

I have also completed the legs, placing pins in the ball sockets to aid final alignment and add additional strength.

Everything laid flat...A squished bug :smiling3:

First Name
Steve
It really is nice to see something very different, and this is a great build the colours are fantastic, very well done.

Steve.