Industria Mechanika 1/35 The Hornethopter

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
WOW! That looks so fragile! A wonderful build. I really do like the colours. Cant wait to see the wings on:thumb2:

O

OneSmallStep1966

Here are the wings, very nearly finished (just some minor cleanup to do).

Deciding on the final colour and what material to use proved to be a real challenge, but after some great advice I opted to go with a graduated green wing, but that wasn't the end of the problems.
I downloaded the wing template from Industria Mechanika with the intention of colour laser printing them on clear OHP Transparencies, but I wasn't happy with the results, the faint green areas looked dirty when held up to the light, so I tried again using HP Tough paper (a very thin plastic like paper) but it wasn't transparent and looked too "Flat".
I then had another idea. The clear OHP transparencies come with tissue paper between each sheet, so I printed two wing templates (one mirrored) and sandwiched the tissue paper between them...Voila, a slightly transparent wing with vein texture.

Picture 1: One half of the wings glued to the OHP transparency (using spray glue)

Picture 2: Both sides of the wings now glued and cutout

Picture 3: The tissue paper sandwiched between the OHP Transparencies creates a nice vein effect

Picture 4: Yeah, I think that'll work :smiling3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Norman, what can a man say...Those wing are too cool and the coloring you've achieved is one of a kind!!! Just like a real Dragonfly or the like....

O

OneSmallStep1966

Thank you all for your kind comments, I just wish I had more time to work on it at the moment.

I couldn't resist test fitting the wings to the body to see how it looked...ok, I confess, I just wanted an excuse to test my new camera and photo box :smiling3:

O

OneSmallStep1966

Nice photo :thumb2:

It seems a Canon...?
Correct, it is a Canon EOS 800D. That photo is one of my first attempts at producing decent images, but I have a lot to learn about photography :smiling3: