Interesting colour image from the Italian Campaign - but what is the AFV?

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Italian-Campaign-H.jpeg

Every now and then I come across interesting images from the Second World War. It's especially exciting when they're in colour.

https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/italian-campaign

This atmospheric shot of three young German lads - apparently walking after capture - appears on the above site without a caption. However, it does look genuine.

My question is: what is the vehicle on the right? At first I thought it was a knocked out Panzer IV taken from the rear. Then I thought some sort of bridge layer? Possibly a Valentine... That might explain the dark shape on the other side.

Answers on a post card please...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Does look like a Valentine with the scissor bridge section dislodged or a converted Sherman.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It's almost certainly a Valentine bridge layer: look at the drive sprockets, whose central drum section extends outboard of the track, which is a fairly distinguishing feature of that tank. What we’re looking at is the rear of the vehicle, which isn’t often pictured, it seems — the round, brown thing on top is the rollers at the forward end (the dark shape in the background is probably the bridge lying in front of the tank), and the two upright things with the sort of bin at the bottom, are the rear end of the bridge laying mechanism, the aft end of which has pivoted down to rest against the rear of the tank.

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think it is a Valentine bridge layer. Was it used anywhere other than Italy?

It is also a stunning image of the young Luftwaffe boys...

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It was used in North-West Europe as well, if memory serves — which seems to be confirmed by some quick research that also says they were used in Burma too. And in New Zealand, apparently :smiling3: