Internal rigging tips.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The credit for this must go to jeffreyw8 who sent it to my pm box for some reason ? anyway thanks Jeffrey and I note your comments regarding the control cable exit through the spar ! also it looks as if you have built a different version of this model with a plastic fuselage,this was the material used on the original Hasegawa kit,UK versions have metal longerons....

I have just found this site and look forward to

communicating with those who share my hobby!

There was a message about the internal bracing wires, and the inadequacy of the supplied string.

I used fine cable (1/64 inch w/ 19 strands) purchased from Nelson Hobby in Texas. There is a web site.

It worked quite well and was immeasurably more realistic, but even as fine as it is it cannot be pulled taught when in place without warping the plastic fuselage structure. I prebent to the correct loop length with fine needlenose pliers. Somewhat tedious but well worth the effort. The cable loop was realistically crimped in place with 1mm x 2mm brass beading tube purchased from a jewelery supply store, which is used to keep beads on necklaces. I also used this cable for the control cables, of course.

My current problem is the black 2mm tape that is woven between the wing ribs. the kit only supplied half the needed length. Any ideas?

Also note that the aileron control wires must pass through the center section of the box spar before exiting the slots in the aluminum sheeting that is over the center wing/fuselage juncture. I didn't realize this until the wings were permanently mounted.

Is there a Sopwith CAmel in this scale/quality available?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Regarding a Sopwith Camel to this scale,Hasegawa did one and the S.E.5A,these do appear now and again for sale,I intend scratch building a Camel in the future.

J

jeffreyw8

For those who may be interested there is a website which offers a cd-rom "book" which contains 185 construction photos of a Dr.1 replica. How many of the photos are of original design as opposed to a replica which may or may not be accurate is unknown to me.

The page also offers 200 contruction drawings (full size) for sale, 60 of which can be viewed on-line as samples. A few of the on-line images of larger "pieces", such as the wings, ailerons, etc. are not of very clear. The images of small haedware, ranging from small pins and connectors to control column, floorboard, rudderbar etc. are quite clear and useful.

The website is:

http://www.collectors-edition.com/f-t-s_zeichnungen_Dr1_english.htm

Also there is an excellent close up photo of the Le Rhone engine available on the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome website:

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/collection/engines/110_Le_Rhone.JPG

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is well worth a visit, and if it is a practical trip for you to make I highly recommend it.

Definitly visit the website!