Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
IIRC Academy use Tamiya moulds, or have some old ones. The quality comes from the finish and the plastic.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Oh right , I've made a couple of kits by academy and I have bought the tamiya release before and they seemed very similar , I do think that academy should be putting the tamiya logo on to let people know it's the tamiya mould as I've thought if this is good the tamiya version must be better

Which version is it though , there are no difference in the parts but the academy says it's the 1/67 which I think was the first version which got changed to the 163 when production started

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The 163 is a Stug IV.

The 167 is a Stug IV but has changes to the gun IIRC-F models onwards.

Just slight variations, the armour guys will put me right and should know more.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's my point the parts are identical :confused: so really it's a 163

I might do both on the same dio and do one knocked out , I have a tank crew with a couple of them injured and being helped by crew members while the commander is covering there escape , the other stug could be coming up in support :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
theres a lot of simularities between those spures but they are not identical

makes me think academy have 3d scanned the tamiya sprues then rejigged as they want

i once did an academy MUTT that was incredibly similar to the tamiya one i had done a year earlier

I read from somewhere, occasionally, Model Kits companies have some sort of agreement to use each other mould.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Both reasons have possibilities, that's are identical the only thing I can see that's different is the sprues are back to front and I think there is one extra part on the tamiya kit other than that it's the same kit :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I read from somewhere, occasionally, Model Kits companies have some sort of agreement to use each other mould.
That is true but Academy don't re-box Tamiya kits (as Italeri do, and vice-versa. Italeri is a serial re-boxer), they just copied them.

I don't know where Tamiya have the plastic moulded, it might be that Academy bought from the same Korean injection moulding company for all I know :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Academy are known for reverse engineering and making changes to established kits. Many of their aircraft are suspiciously much like Hasegawa kits. To avoid copyright infringement, if I recall correctly, they have to make at least a 15% change to the moulds. They've also made some very nice kits of their own. The sprues in the pictures you supplied are subtly different Alan, if you were a mathematician you could probably work out 15% from the changes.