Is there a market for finished models?

First Name
Alex
I was just wondering if there is a market for completed kits, occasionally on E-bay I have seen people post up finished kits, fully painted etc. I imagine either someone digs them out of their loft or they belonged to a departed loved one. I don't think I have ever seen a completed model kit in a brick and mortar auction before except maybe a very exquisite large battleship encased in a glass display.

I find it interesting because we spend a lot of time and effort in painting detailed and fine models with a lot of skill involved for those who are more advanced and yet the real value I feel is in the experience of making it and the pride you take in completing it

Other items such as toy cars, for example, are very collectable but I have never heard of people going about collecting finished model kits and more to the point why would you sell them anyway? What would you do if you had to get rid of all your kits? it would be such a shame to simply 'throw them away'

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
When I was young I had an air riffle......
There are people that like to have them, model aircraft, etc, but cant build them themselves, so they either buy one ready built or commission another to build it for them! (Yes there are people that actually make a living out of building models for other people.
I am fast getting to the point where I will have to figure out if I should by a new riffle, start selling or get the bin bag out. Hard to do but have done it before.

F

Fenlander

I just get the bin bag out. In fact, this week heralds the cull of a lot of my military/armour/aircraft. This will possibly be followed by a lot of the stash going to a local charity shop too. I really cannot be bothered selling them on eBay.

However, there are quite a few eBay auctions where completed models are sold for, sometimes, a lot of money even when some of them are not that high a quality. Always worth putting a few up for auction and see if anyone wants them. Good quality pictures and accurate description could be the key selling point. However, get your costing right as the packaging to ensure completed models arrive in tiptop condition can be tricky to do and expensive to ship. Remember there will be people buying these things who would want a refund if an antenna gets broken off in transit instead of getting the superglue out.

First Name
Alex
When I was young I had an air riffle......
There are people that like to have them, model aircraft, etc, but cant build them themselves, so they either buy one ready built or commission another to build it for them! (Yes there are people that actually make a living out of building models for other people.
I am fast getting to the point where I will have to figure out if I should by a new riffle, start selling or get the bin bag out. Hard to do but have done it before.

Yeah the air rifle, that's exactly the reason why i don't have any models left from my childhood either, which is annoying because i had some kits that aren't made anymore! well it was fun at the time. I have seen on Ebay one person selling made to order 1/32 Tamiya F16's with aftermarket parts for $750!! although i checked and none have been sold yet

J

John Rixon

I reckon there are a few things - Star Wars / Trek Dr Who etc, if modelled expertly, would fetch enough to make it worthwhile, also, retro stuff scratch built - again, sci fi would be a reasonable punt, but on the whole, yeah, get an air rifle!

First Name
Alex
I think with the military stuff, you would have to present it very well, make a good base for it and enclose it in a nice case and maybe put a small laser etched brass plaque on the front with the full description of the item, if you wanted to go crazy I reckon you could mount a service medal in the case to add more value to it. For example the 1945 service medal can be bought for around £10. I might do that one day when my skills are more improved just for my own pleasure.

S

Spree

I reckon there are a few things - Star Wars / Trek Dr Who etc, if modelled expertly, would fetch enough to make it worthwhile, also, retro stuff scratch built - again, sci fi would be a reasonable punt, but on the whole, yeah, get an air rifle!
There is a video on YouTube by a company called hellios models (I think) they built an amazing enterprise E, they then put it on eBay for around £1500. A 1:1400 kit. I thought that was too pricey so decided to DIY. So far this has cost me close to £800 to replicate (my craftsman ship and experience is far less than theres) and countless hours. I've been on it for over 5/6 months now. And with the quality of their piece I think the price tag is actually very cheep. So these things do exist, just very quiet.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
As a young lad I gave all mine a good send off with my air rifle BSA meteor or a good dose of nail varnish remover and a box of matches oooooo the joys of childhood. Now I just throw the oldest into a box of scrap for either experiments or cannibalism. If your a model you don't want to be coming into my house as they all eventually meet with a very grim ending.o_O:rolleyes::eek:

First Name
Dave
Yeah the air rifle, that's exactly the reason why i don't have any models left from my childhood either, which is annoying because i had some kits that aren't made anymore! well it was fun at the time. I have seen on Ebay one person selling made to order 1/32 Tamiya F16's with aftermarket parts for $750!! although i checked and none have been sold yet
A chap who works in my local hobby shop tries to sell his models. Hes a very good modeller and is asking around £200 for a 1/32 F16. Its been on sale for well over a year, maybe 2 though. So no interest locally

First Name
Alex
There is definitely a recurring theme here with air rifles and old model kit destruction, I reckon it would be quite fun to get some people together with old kits they don't want and basically have a mass shoot out i can just imagine the carnage, maybe get the local vicar to say a few words first

S

Spree

There is definitely a recurring theme here with air rifles and old model kit destruction, I reckon it would be quite fun to get some people together with old kits they don't want and basically have a mass shoot out i can just imagine the carnage, maybe get the local vicar to say a few words first
Yeah I have a few old kits that would benefit from some air rifle therapy

P

phikoleoputra

Hello,

I just sold 5 of my old diorama, armour and whatnot for £155

I put advert in my local Facebook group. Better than sitting and collecting dust, more cash for the stash.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have sold a few, made some money and lost money, mainly lost. I am not too bothered as it clears space and gives the chance for someone to have a model they may not have had a chance to make.

I have been selling, on and off my Lara Croft dio, it is large-which does have something to do with it not selling. I have had an offer for £20 and some internet interest of the £50 mark, way less than the material costs and my time is in the minus fugures lol.

Attachments

• P9077825.JPG
    P9077825.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 13
  • P9077826.JPG
    P9077826.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 14
  • P9077831.JPG
    P9077831.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 14