is there aglue that can be used that does not scar glass or damages plastic

P

premacy10

Hi all,

is there a glue that can be used that does not scar glass or damages plastic, as a novice modellor there is nothing more annoying than cloudy glass or scarred bodywork.

Any suggestions

Regards

Antony

F

Fenlander

Do you mean for sticking clear parts to a model? If so, you can use a couple of things. Gator Glue is a type of PVA that dries hard, some wood and hobby PVA can dry quite rubbery on plastic. I use this a lot for sticking photo etch and canopies etc. The great thing is that you can press the canopy in place and if any GAtor Glue squeezes out, just wipe it of straight away with a dampened cotton bud. It does take a while to go fully hard but is thisck enogh to act as a gap filler if the canopy does not sit bang on. This is Gator Glue. in the Scale Models Shop

You could also use Micro Kristal Klear from the people that make the Microsol Decal softener. I have just bought some but have yet to try it. This can be seen here Also in the Scale Models Shop

B

Bunkerbarge

I use woodwork glue but basically any PVA type of glue can be used. I also sometimes water it down and allow capiliary action to take it into fine gaps which can be useful.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Im with Graham here Gator glue or Microscales cristalclear. Both very good. Gator glue cures a bit quicker than Cristalclear, but cristal can also be used instead of the platic windows in small openings of around 5-6 mm. Great for port holes and the like.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

If Gator glue is PVA based can it be watered down as well?

S

Sky Raider

You can also use Canopy glue, This stuff dries like glass and i have found that it it the only glue that will stick Litho-plate to wood.

Andy

W

wanna_be_aviator

I've been using Future/Klear/whatnot (Pledge here in this part of the world) and I am satisfied with the results. Dries perfectly clear and hard.

F

Fenlander

Richard, I may have mislead with my description. Although like PVA to use, Gator Glue is actually an acrylic base, hence the drying hard with no rubbery feel to it. So, yes, you can indeed thin it with water and wash it off, pre setting, with water.

R

RickBrown

Can the cristalclear be treated like Gator too, as in can it be wiped off with water? I can get cristalclear locally but not sure about Gator.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yes Rick, Cristal clear, (or more correctly KristalKlear just had the bottle in hand and seen it spelt wiv a K like wot all good Inglish words is), can be thinned and cleaned with water BEFORE it has set. I also use it for small windows in boats and planes, Lights, and a small drop in an instrument as the glass works rather well to.

Gator glue is very good for Photoetch. Well bits that have to be stuck down flat, like a panel. Gives you a bit of time to push it in place and remove the excess before its stuck for good. John Sells them both from the 'forum' shop if you have problems finding gator!

Ian M

S

snapper41

I use Fomula 500 Canpoy Glue. Dries clear, but does take a bit of time to dry.