Is this really a model?

S

Stevekir

It is 1/16 scale, 12.5" long. It seems to have been photographed outdoors on a plain board to look like gravel, against a full-size real background. This adds to the realism, but still, the quality of the modelling is breathtaking, even fairly close up (especially the 5th photo of the canopy, and the closeup of the wheel shows off the quoted "Wheels are not plastic molded. Jigs and black vinyl thread are provided for hand-lacing the spokes, for utmost fidelity."

Whew! I could never do this.

http://golife.awardspace.com/gallery/royce-balloon.html

The build pics are here:

http://golife.awardspace.com/gallery/balloon-constr.html

The method of doing the spokes is interesting.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Wow as you said breathtaking Steve he's put some hours into that gives you something to aim for with your vintage car builds though and from your recent posts yours look great too

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is very nicely made, only crit from me is the brass colour looks too golden, but it is a stunning build.

Si:smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
As your title says unless you didn't tell you could mistake for real.

Peter t

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great build and finish but inclined to agree with Si regarding the brass and maybe the wheels should have been weighted for added realism.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's a beauty , it takes some skill to produce that look very impressive

Just a thought though if that won second place what did the winner look like :eek:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It is very nice indeed, but can't help thinking if the background was taken away it would look like a model again.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
It is very nice indeed, but can't help thinking if the background was taken away it would look like a model again.
Here is a rough cutout put against a white background. It doesn't look any longer like the real thing 'cos cars don't fly! But to me it still looks like a pretty good model.

View attachment 79889

Cutout.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

I built this kit years ago but it didn't look anything like that, that is amazing

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Wow! that's a beauty,amazing work,and with the natural light ,just makes it better, ;)

A

Aurora

\ said:
It is 1/16 scale, 12.5" long. It seems to have been photographed outdoors on a plain board to look like gravel, against a full-size real background. This adds to the realism, but still, the quality of the modelling is breathtaking, even fairly close up (especially the 5th photo of the canopy, and the closeup of the wheel shows off the quoted "Wheels are not plastic molded. Jigs and black vinyl thread are provided for hand-lacing the spokes, for utmost fidelity."Whew! I could never do this.

http://golife.awardspace.com/gallery/royce-balloon.html

The build pics are here:

http://golife.awardspace.com/gallery/balloon-constr.html

The method of doing the spokes is interesting.
wow, very professional work. it is little bit late but i just saw it today. Bandai is the best plastic kit producer. now they produce gundam mecha kits and their gundam robot's not only has moveable joints for ankle, knee etc also for fingers :smiling3: . no molding lines, no problem for fitting, no need for putty to fill gaps. they are simply amazing. also this person added many wires, brass lanterns etc. most probably he used brass lanterns for ships. amazing !