Issue 96-Brass Axle & fitting the aileron cables.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Issue 96 is another rip-off issue,it contains a piece of brass tube for the axle,not a lot to do yet with this as more undercarriage items arrive in next weeks issue.

If you decide to install the aileron cables then you are in for a very fiddly job,follow the instructions carefully regarding where they are routed otherwise it can get confusing,whilst I intend to rip out the brackets and oval pulleys as supplied at a later date I decided to install them as per Hachettes instructions in order to assist others,these are my findings-

The job is tedious,you will need to cut the cords to length as mentioned,but allow extra to leave a bit to fiddle with,before you start to thread them soak the ends in PVA glue,this will assist when pushing them through the pulley blocks,once you have them in place then make sure you tape the ends so that they will not slip back again,also I noticed the the cables rub slightly on the rib inner holes,what is actually wrong are the pulley blocks which are too close to the spars,this is borne out by their position in relation to how the cables exit.

You can fit the cables if you like but I doubt whether they will function very well,the elevator and rudder ones do at least work once the cables are installed.

One tip is that the cord is a bit fluffy and will no doubt degrade over time if untreated,I tried experimentally treating them with Johnsons Klear/Future,it does help without making them too rigid.

Where the rudder cables entered the rudder bar I just looped the cord around a small piece of toothpick,pulled on the cords and they were in place,easier than trying to tie a knot in the rudder bar,you could do the same with the elevator cables as well.

The above is for those who want to use the cord as supplied or even a better quality of cord,at least it gets the model moving along on the build.