Italeri 1/72 BAe Hawk T.1

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
On the side I've been building this Hawk as a stress-free no frills build.

The last Revell (Italeri moulding) Hawk was the ETPS version. I didn't enjoy the Italeri moulded Hawk, so rather than cast it into the box of doom, I thought I'd do something different with this one. It'll use the Red Arrows decals that won't be needed for my other Hawks (they have different versions pending from the Xtradecal sheet). Wheels up, smoke on, mounted on a stand.

The base kit:
_20171030_193656.JPG

Same kit as the previous build (Rick's Hawk GB), but moulded in white instead of red. Firstly the pilot, nicked from one of the Airfix kits:
DSC_001.JPG

DSC_003.JPG

Canopy on. Had issues as before with the interior clear blast shield (hoping the Airfix kit is a little easier in this regard):
DSC_005.JPG

Intakes and tail feathers on. I've left a few of the under wing actuator covers (or whatever they are) off to make it easier to apply the arrow decals. As with the previou sbuild, a lot of filling and blending is required with the intakes:
DSC_006.JPG

All smoothed and ready for primer:
DSC_0097.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Happy with the seams and intakes after the black paint dried. The Hawk looks great in black, might be a good scheme for a future build.
DSC_0009.JPG

Humbrol 238 Gloss Red Arrows Red, first coat:
DSC_0010.JPG

This morning a second coat:
DSC_0011.JPG

The 'red' looks pinkish and sometimes orange in the photos, depending on the light.
DSC_0012.JPG

Being enamel this will now sit for a few days to harden and dry, then I'll check to see if it needs another light coat. I have to say this paint sprayed nice and evenly, very satisfying. I'm glad Humbrol took their paint production back to the UK.

I've got a stand set up (the stand I did not use from the 737 build) with a small square wooden frame with a grass base. After the paint is done I'll add some smoke tubes in the rear. The intention is to fashion some smoke from cotton wool with a thin wire insert and paint it blue.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Various aerials and antenna painted black, as well as the APU vent on top. I fashioned the three distinctive diesel injector pipes which protrude into the hot jet exhaust to create the display smoke.

Firstly I drilled the position holes for the pipes
_20171126_210355.JPG

Then I clipped three pieces of brass tube and bent them using a walk around photo online as a reference and set them in place with CA glue
_20171126_210527.JPG

I've also painted the rear nav / anti coll light above the tubes.

The tubes are painted and the model is ready for a final gloss varnish before decal work begins.
_20171126_210603.JPG

I'm working on how to apply the display smoke. Probably thin wire with cotton wool around it, but a little unsure at this stage. Anyone have any ideas or experience with applying display smoke?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'll take your word for it Joe, but I'm seeing a very unusual colour on my works computer. It looks, sort of orange, but I know it can't be. Strange thing computer screens.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'll take your word for it Joe, but I'm seeing a very unusual colour on my works computer. It looks, sort of orange, but I know it can't be. Strange thing computer screens.

The 'red' looks pinkish and sometimes orange in the photos, depending on the light.

I assure you Colin this is Red Arrows red paint... It changes shade with the light, the build pictures are taken in a bright environment which gives an orange tinge. I'll take a pic in a more natural light later. Either way I'm not repainting it :eek:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I assure you Colin this is Red Arrows red paint... It changes shade with the light, the build pictures are taken in a bright environment which gives an orange tinge. I'll take a pic in a more natural light later. Either way I'm not repainting it :eek:
Well, the Orange Arrows has a nice ring to it.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I got the Hawk glossed and decals were applied. I had to use some of the Italeri Red Arrow decals, particularly the underside arrow as the shape is a little differently sized to the Airfix ones (or rather the kit is a little differne tin shape). The rest come from Airfix Red Arrows kit A02005 and A02005A.

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0018.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Does anyone know why I can't attach a picture greater than 100kb in size? .... :angry:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
In the meantime it's complete, on it's stand but no smoke as originally planned.

I'll post completed pictures once I can get around this file size issue...