Italeri 1/72 Do217 J1/J2

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
As i've just joined the forum this isn't a build thread straight from the start. The kit is almost finished bar a few bits to glue on and then the paint/decal phase. So just to let people see where i'm at with this kit so far, here we go.

The canopy is masked with Tamiya tape cut by hand. It's a complete pain to do and i now see where Eduard/Montex masks come into their own. The kit itself is very basic but i got this for £3 so cannot complain really. Other then that it is a perfect kit to get me back into the swing of things with my airbrush.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 23

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
nice!....something a little different from the usual Luftwaffe stuff

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes Paul. It was the box art that caught my eye originally. I like aircraft with different paints schemes to the norm

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
i've just joined the forum
Welcome :smiling3:

The canopy is masked with Tamiya tape cut by hand. It's a complete pain to do
Did you cut the bits first and stuck them to the canopy once they were to size? Then yes, it’s a pain in the arse. Covering the canopy with masking tape first and then cutting it with a new, sharp blade is pretty quick and painless, though.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Jakko. I cut them first as the raised frame of the canopy didn't create a good enough indent/line when rubbed with a cocktail stick. So it was really boring but hey ho. Still did the job eventually

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Probably still faster to put an oversize bit of tape onto each window and then cut it in place. (Just pointing it out in case of a future model with similar issues :smiling3:)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I find it is :smiling3: Then again, I usually don’t bother and paint canopy frames freehand.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Jakko. I intend to move up scales (1/48 and 1/32) after a few kits once getting back into the swing of things so hopefully the kits i build have masks available.Yes it's a cheat but one i am willing to live with lol

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Maybe it’s that I just don’t see the point in paying for things like that :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Pulled up a chair Al. Looking good so far. Look forward to seeing the next update

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Not really much done to it this week as i was helping my son paint his Hawker Typhoon I've got to the stage where you add little bits and have to wait for them to dry (which is most annoying). Today i added the eight cannon muzzles and made up the radar aerials. Next it will be to add the aerials and then start painting.

Attachments

• Italeri 1.72 Do217 J1.J2 03.JPG
    Italeri 1.72 Do217 J1.J2 03.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Italeri 1.72 Do217 J1.J2 04.JPG
    Italeri 1.72 Do217 J1.J2 04.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: