Italeri 1:72 huey iroquis UH-1

D

Dave1973

welcome, welcome,

This here is the thread for the worst idea ive ever had.

Why? Because this tinternet thingy and all the Dioramas and models you lot keep putting on show makes mere fat fingered lubboxes like me think way way too highly of their abilities, and we go opening our mouths and promise riches and glory....

Well ok, not riches and glory, but may as well be!

So what was it that my single celled aemoeba brain thunk up? A Vietnam dio.......yeah yeah old hat been there done that, so on and so forth.

But im new to this. And without confliberating and cantabulating all the angles of this dio i thunk up, i stated clearly i wanted to make a dio with a huey in a rice paddy. Ok not too much of a problem, but boooorrriinggg.....

Oh said some, how about one that is coming in to land. Great, now im even deeper in this mire of inability, and ive dropped my damnned snorkel!

how do i make the water look like its ruffled under a helicomptomobobbers rotors? Oh He Who Shall Remain Nameless only goes and makes one RUSHED AND QUICK TRIAL like, which looks bloody perfect, makes me look like a numpty and ruins every hope of glory i ever had.....oh yeah no glory, sorry.

But undeterred, ive had a crack at this, and this is where we begin.

Its an italeri kit, 1:72 scale, standard slick, as usd and abused by the lovely US army in Vietnam.

Along with the kit i also have a set of 1:72 US vietnam soldiers, by academy to use. Obviously not all of them, as that would be ridiculous!

I begin as anywhere, unboxing and looking at the sprues, washing and drying.

I then make uo the cockpit, and instrument panels, and leave to dry.

In the meantime, i think, oooooh, i need to practice this watery thingy.

Diligently reading through HE WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESSs post i begin.

Begin what? Begin making a damnned mess is what i begin! How he ever made that look so good i know not,mbut the force is strong with him!!

Oh well. This is my effort for Dio base 1.

Stay tuned for Dio base 2 thu 647 in the future!!

View attachment 124001

View attachment 124002

View attachment 124003

EDIT... OH AND IVE LOST THE BLOODY CANOPY SPUE NOW TOO,! Doomed it is Doomed!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hope you can locate the windshield Dave. Sounds like an ambitious but worthy project though.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
To be honest Dave it looks a very good start. what you need to do now is paint it the water the colour you want, then using clear sealant spread it over the top then while still wet use a wet metal spoon to shape the sealant into the round ripples and it should look great.

Just like He who shall remain nameless's

D

Dave1973

Thanks papa,

Im really into this build, more than others, so the canopy incident has annoyed me somewhat.

Ill try your suggestion on the water, perhaps it will look like Rons then.......DAMN.... I mean he who shall remain nameless.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
A very nice start!!

Liking the rotor wash on the water effect!!:cool:

D

dubster72

Nice cockpit & you know the missing canopy will turn up once the new kit arrives ;)

D

Dave1973

Ok, my new kit arrived, and well done italeri, they decided to change the kit somewhere along the line, the box is identical, same as the number, but the plastics dont match!

Oh well, ive decided to make this afresh, with a new helo.

So pics soon, as i spent ages building the huey up, and have started the figures too.

Had to do my tealight candle trick to one unfortunate little man, who was sitting down, well, i bent his legs, now he is a helicopter door gunner!! Got promoted he did!

Sorry, i didnt take pics, today!

D

Dave1973

Well, acrylic rod arrived, i decided to junk the idea of rice paddy, just too hard for me to make it right. So ive got the helicoper on the rod, coming in, built the helo as a mk1 slick, not the extended bodies the army used straight after, so door gunners were grunts, rather than bungee M60 crew.

Shame i didnt get any pilots, but at this size, my little boy wont mind! Something to remeber for next time.

Painting 1:72 figures, not my forte! But they are passable!