Italeri 1/72 Mig-21bis

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
My OOB build of the Italeri 1/72 MiG-21bis, kit No.1427. It is basically the Fujimi kit with Italeri decals. I did not like any of the grey schemes the kit provided, so after some research I decided to create an original paint scheme based on the four-colour upper camouflage and light blue undersides. I think (Tony will know) it is a Central Asian scheme that the Soviet Air Force used in the 1980s.

My cockpit colour was home made, I don't think I mastered the Mig Interior shade but you can't really see much n there anyway. I used the pilot in this one to hide the basic seat. I managed to break the nose wheel off during unmasking, so used thin brass tube inserted into a hole drilled through the fork and into the strut, to secure it.

The paint work was done using Humbrol enamels, and I elected to try a soft demarcation using freehand airbrushing. I used RLM76 for the lower surfaces, and sand (Humbrol 93), pale green (Humbrol 101), reddish brown (Humbrol 160) and dark green (Humbrol 116) for the upper camouflage. The dielectrics were painted in forest green (Humbrol 149). Weathering around the exhaust was done using Ammo Mig acrylics, and panel line washes using Vallejo acrylics.

I quite like the finished look, the freehand airbrushing was very enjoyable.

IMG_0085.jpeg

IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

IMG_0091.jpeg

IMG_0093.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful 21 joe , the Afghan era camo looks great . Cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Joe. A very different camo scheme and not over I've seen before.

Out of interest, his do you find airbrushing enamels. It's something I've never done but I have a load in the box from when I first came back to the hobby. I currently use water based acrylics.

ATB.

Andrew

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautiful 21 joe , the Afghan era camo looks great . Cheers tony
Afghan era, sort of knew it may have been about that time. I used online profiles and photos to create the scheme

Great work Joe. A very different camo scheme and not over I've seen before.

Out of interest, his do you find airbrushing enamels. It's something I've never done but I have a load in the box from when I first came back to the hobby. I currently use water based acrylics.

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. It was fun to apply this scheme, partly because no-one can pick holes in it because it's my scheme. As for enamels, no problems at all. I use Humbrol, Xtracolour and Model Master enamels. I apply them very thinly at low pressure (10-15PSI through my HP-CS 0.3), and if you do that you can dry them off pretty quickly with airbrush airflow to allow another quick coat. I go by 'feel', but I would say I probably mix at a ratio of 60 to 70% thinner to 40 to 30% paint, or thereabouts. I use Humbrol enamel thinners with all three, no problems. Of course enamels are not as easy to clean up as the acrylics and the fumes require good ventilation, but they do provide a very resilient surface. I vent my booth out the window and wear a 3M respirator, regardless of the paint I use.

One doesn't need to look far to find enamel vs acrylic vs lacquer debates. I go with what I feel like using on any particular model, depending on the colours I have to hand. Enjoy them all, it increases your colour ranges.

Cracking work Joe.
Cheers Ian

Love it. Great aircraft, great Camo job :thumb2:
Thanks Tim, glad you like it

Very nice Joe.
Thank you Mark