Italeri Kfz 305 Opel Blitz with Tamiya 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.51

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone
I am a new member who has come over from the demise of Millimods. I dont trust the website to be around too much longer so I am taking the opportunity to copy and paste my latest blog over to this wonderful new forum
I look forward to meeting many new modellers along the way and welcome input along the way

History

During the 1930’s, Opel was Germany’s largest truck producer. When war broke out the Opel Blitz became the work horse of the German Wehrmacht. There were several variants and the one I will be building is the LKW 3, 6-36 S 3t Blitz. By the end of the war over 100,000 had been produced with over 100 different types.

The Kit

I have chosen the Italeri Kfz 305 Opel blitz kit. It comes with two figures and eight rubber tyres.

IMG_0080.JPG

I will also be using Eduard’s PE kit 35154.

IMG_0082.JPG

There are four options on the decal sheet one of which is for the 164 Leichte Division which I will base the model on.

The Division was moved over to North Africa in mid 1942 and fought at El Alamein all the way through to Tunisia in 1943.

The kit will be stripped right back and an attempt will be made to scratch build the sledge based on Ron’s blog. I will be using this photo as my inspiration.

Blitz-Flak-0009-a.jpg
(For discussion purposes only)

The final look will be RAL 8000 on top of Panzergrau with a lot of grey showing through.

The first section of the instructions deal with the cab

IMG_0027.JPG

None of the parts are numbered on the sprue so its a matter of match the part with the picture. So these are the initial parts which need to be butcheredsmiley

So here we have the doors removed and the back window removed. I have also textured the seat with Micropore tape

803137.jpg

Next was the dashboard

IMG_0028.JPG

All the detailing was removed and the PE dash added. Firstly the clear dials were added to the back

IMG_0029.JPG

This will be left to dry overnight. In hindsight I should have painted the dash white before adding the PE part to make them stand out

IMG_0030.JPG

Thanks for watching and I hope all your GB builds go well

Steve

Steve,

Count me in front and centre, looking forward to see what you do with this.

Scottie

Steve,

Great choice for the GB and who could say no to a blitz laugh Cool beanz my good manbeer

Si

Steve,

Will keep an eye on you, the scratch build sounds interesting.

MikeC

LeeD
Looking good Steve. I'm liking that dash and a great choice I build one as you know last year been building for over 40 years and that opel/ 38 flak build was my all time favorite. Here's a pic of it if need need to use it.

Always like a Flak38 thumbs up (I have a 1/6 one that just needs a scratch built truck to sit underneath it)

Not sure about that first photo though - I reckon that is a photoshopped model

SimonT

another fan of the Flak38 here Steve--very versatile weapon--u never run out of options and combos--have u decided which base kit for the flak??--here is a pic of one I built earlier this year with a scratch built sledge--if this is the type u were going for I should still have some good pics tucked away somewhere--let me know and ill see if I can find them

good luck with the build---cheers Marty

Hi Steve

Love the idea. It will make a great model and an interesting blog. Your inspiration photo does look 'photoshopped' - the way the tyres sit on the ground - but regardless it is a great vehicle to build. The cut down cab and all the jerry cans look quite cool.

Jim

Attachments

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Scottie - Great to have you along for the ride. I will be looking to have a look like your Sd.kfz.222 on this one
Si - Your Opel blog was great so looking forward to your help on this build
MikeC - Looking forward to doing as much scratchery as I can on the hole build
Lee - Thanks for the picture and great to have you along for the ride
MrT - I certainly need your help with the detailing and scratchery on the Flak
Marty - It will be the Tamiya one. Full of mistakes but a good base to work from
Jim - I am with you on the jerry cans. I may put them on the other side as there is a lovely PE box that can go there

Well after the emotional roller coaster of yesterday it was nice today to sit down at the bench and get some modelling done. Firstly I finished off the dash with a PE glove compartment and handle. Then I just added a few rivets as knobs and switches on the dash

IMG_0027.JPG

Next I made up the top bracket for the rifle holder using these bits of etch

IMG_0028.JPG

This was then added to the dash and left to dry. I also added a couple of rivets on the clasp

IMG_0029.JPG

The floor of the cab was very basic and there was plenty of room for improvement

IMG_0030.JPG

Firstly the moulded pedals were taken off and PE plates were added. I also put in the plate for the gear stick. This was embellished with .6mm bolt heads. The missing one was found and re glued:smiling2:. The first of four PE pedals were added along with the base of the rifle holder on the right

IMG_0031.JPG

Next the other foot pedals were added. I reconfigured the gear stick and hand brake

IMG_0034.JPG

So with all the parts detailed up it was just a matter of putting all the pieces together. No major problems here but once dried I may need to do a little tidying up with filler and sanding

IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG

Thanks for watching and have a great weekend

Steve

John Race

Plastic burner and member of the Rabble
First Name
John
Steve .
Stunning mate only one thing , could you put the coin the right way round
Seriously your build skills have developed to such a high standard and the photo posting on here is far better than MM .
Glad you have been been able to move things , I've had word from Paul Richardson that he's down low all my ablums
And burnt them on to CD and will post on Monday . Top man indeed
John

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Pete - Cheers mate and thanks for the you tube link:thumb2:
Fernando - Me too! Sorry about the bling. Should have put a warning up:cool:
Paul - Many thanks. Ron has managed to move it over there now:thumb2:

So did we spot the deliberate mistake?:rolling: I forgot to add the steering wheel. This was done with a PE plate and the steering wheel fitted nicely into place
IMG_0030.JPG

Section 2 deals with the outside of the cab

IMG_0027.JPG

As you can see the bonnet is one solid piece with the windscreen and the roof. So, as my Opel will be a convertible, the roof had to go. Next the grill and fender section was added. Annoyingly the grill tapers at the bottom instead of going down straight. Not a lot I could do about that. Also the fit was very bad and I am on my second lot of filler trying to sort it out

IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG

Next I needed to make the cloth roof and windscreen. This was done using foil from a foil pie dish.

IMG_0034.JPG

The supporting bar at the back was 1mm brass rod cut and bent into shape. Holes were drilled at each end to house it.

IMG_0033.JPG

A part of the foil was cut out and placed over the top to help measure out the amount needed

IMG_0035.JPG

Two holes for the driver and passenger were cut out. This did not need to be exact as it will be rolled up but I needed an impression for the painting process

IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG

With the leftover foil I made some straps which were then added to the cover and buckles were added using wire

IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG

This will all be left to dry and then we can start on the detailing of the outside of the cab
Thanks for watching and your continued support
Steve

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
JR
Sorry mate. Crossed posts as I was loading the update. Great to hear you will be able to keep you albums. Good old Paul. The 5p is the same both sides so never bet me on a heads or tails game:smiling:
Steve

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist
First Name
Lee
Steve
I found it! Looking great you my friend are insane with high end detailing this is why I envy you guys you have taught me a lot and I thought I lost that when the old website was demised

John Race

Plastic burner and member of the Rabble
First Name
John
Morning Cpl Jones .
Yes have to agree with Si that foil is perfection. As for those buckels and straps !!!
Nice to see near Hospital corners using that tape. Is it the stuff you use for first aid ?

I'm becoming more convinced that you are related to Mr T

JR

First Name
Jim
Hi Steve,
Thank you for the micropore tape idea it;s brilliant, and that roof is looking the dog's, one thing you have in common with Mr Day you never disappoint.
Jim

papa 695

SMF Poster
First Name
Ian
Just seen this one, and some great work going on. I really like the foil cover you made. one tip to pinch me thinks. Great work Steve I'm in following this build now.

rtfoe

SMF Poster
First Name
Richard
You foiled them all with the foil work Steve...very nice indeed.:thumb2:
I had my raybans on for the cab PE installations...never seen any other Opel Blitz the same as this.

Carry on Cpl Steve.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone
Lee - Glad you made it mate. Pull up a chair and have some cocoa
Si - Inspired by Andrew Belsey's hospital tent at the beginning of the year
RSM Race - :smiling3: It's surgical tape that I wrap it around minor cuts. Better than plasters
Jim - We have Jimbo to thank for that tip. He showed me that one about a year ago
Fernando - I appreciate the support mate:thumb2:
Ron - It's very easy to use. I hope it goes well for you
Ian -Great to have you along for the ride. I always welcome help and advice on my builds so if you think I am going down the wrong road feel free to say:thumb2:
Richard - I hope it will be different from others I have seen. Great to have your company

Only a small update tonite as I am having issues with the bonnet and sides at the moment so progress is slow. I managed to do the Nortek light. It is a lot larger than the Panzer one but is correct. I added a PE bracket and wire for the cabling

IMG_0028.JPG

While things are settling down on the bonnet I made a start on the chassis. The mighty Si Benson sent me some wonderful research pictures and along with the material I had it was clear that the springs were incorrect. The kit part has five leaves

IMG_0032.JPG

Whereas the real thing has 10. I have made as tart on making my own using pasticard and wire. Still very much work in progress

IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
Thanks for all your support
Steve

Pete Low

Old Puffer Pete
First Name
Pete
Hi Steve nice foil work on the cloth roof and like the upgrade you've done to the leave spring's, keep it coming :thumb2:
Pete.