Italeri Kfz 305 Opel Blitz with Tamiya 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.51

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Steve
Just had a catch up with this one....top line stuff, really fine work. Well done.
Cheers
Tim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Springs looks great. The whole rear deck appears sorted :thumb2:
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Scottie - Thanks for the vote of confidence mate:thumb2:
Peter - I am a big Master Club user so I buy a batch from Historex every now and then
JR - After the day I have had I will be glad to see the back of the thing:tired:
Tim - Glad you like it mate
Jim - Thank you sir. I am very pleased with the over all look

Well its been a bit of a be-atch at the bench today. The seven jerry can holder didnt fit so I had to strip it down and redesign it. Also the single can holder didnt fit where it should do so that had to be moved elsewhere. After a couple of other bits that had to be redone I have had enough of the Opel and I have decided to go onto the Flak. I will finish the blitz once I get the desire to do so.

20mm Flak 38mm

At the start of WWII it was decided that the Flak 30 did not have the rapid fire power that the Germans needed. So they redesigned it by giving the contract to
Mauser who came up with a new gun that provided a cyclic rate of fire of 420 to 480 rounds per minute. The ammunition, feed system and most of the carriage remained much the same as before.

The Germans stopped making the Flak 30 and moved all production over to the 38. However both units served alongside each other through out the war

5616e8d4f57327b2ef923b2bef2fa3c1.jpg
(For information purposes only)

The Kit

I am using the well known Tamiya Flak 38 kit

IMG_0136.JPG

I am a big fan of Tamiya as their kits are so reliable and easy to put together. They also lack a lot of detail which gives me plenty of opportunity to add value. As you can see with the writing on the box, I tried to get a PE kit for the model. However they proved far to expensive so I will be scratch building as much as I can

Section One

This deals with the gun and csing.

IMG_0137.JPG

I have cut off the barrel in preparation of the metal one. I ordered one from Evilbay and the idiot sent it in a small envelope and was bent. So I am waiting for another one. In the mean time the ammo case and initial casing items were put in place.

IMG_0138.JPG

The first bit of detailing was the addition of twelve 0 .4mm bolt heads to the inner rim.

IMG_0139.JPG

Thanks for watching

Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve.
Can you remember who built this on the other house ?
Apart from your niggling set backs which you will over come, ( I find a large hammer normally sorts most none fitting items). All looking good, always enjoy reading your history inputs,makes the build more entertaining.
Matron has rung and wants you to reduce the pill intake , said your becoming hyper!
JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Gary.
I was thinking it was someone in the uk, but can't place the avatar or name.
John.

First Name
Wouter
Hi Steve. Nice build you have going on here. Good job on the scratchbuilding!

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
John(Dzhon) :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: you might as well run up the flags ala Lord Nelson with " England expects every man to do his duty"

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
oooh! ya Steve...everything below the skirt is fine. Scratching at it's best....didn't sound right there...scratch building at its best.:smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Steve, very nice work on the Blitz.:hugging-face:
Sorry to hear about the mojo loss but that's expected when redoing a scratch-built item.....:rolling:
Great start on the Flak mate.:thumb2:

Fernando

J

Jim Barry

Just fantastic Steve. Sorry, I'm just catching up. I've got a Tamiya Flakvierling Halftrack I'm building out of the box. For me..that enough detailing and mental break from the other stuff I do. Great to see one can push it no matter what you're faced with. Just keep it fun!

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

JR/Gary - Quite a few people. I looked through John Hutton's, Si's and Rons but there were a few to chose from.
Wouter - Cheers mate. Really enjoying this one
Peter - Many thanks. There will be our little surprise at the end of it all as well:tongue-out3:
Richard - You were right first time:smiling5:
Joe - Cheers for the links mate. I am already working off the first one. The second one looks like a Flak 30 to me so not sure why the guy has it listed as a 38??
Fernando - The juices are flowing again with the Flak:thumb2:
Jim - Great to have you along my friend. Certainly having a lot of fun

Very little done this week but what I have done has been great fun. Firstly the other side of the barrel holder was detailed with the bolt heads along with a few rivets at the back

IMG_0141.JPG

For those of you who have done this build you know the top of the casing has a lattice detail to it. I tried to replicate this but failed miserably so I ended up just scraping some rectangles to give a hint of the lattice work which hopefully will become more evident with the washes

IMG_0140.JPG

Next I made a start on the side casing. This is what the kit gave me and I have made a start on the alterations and additions

IMG_0142.JPG

Firstly the ammo magazine holder was updated. The kit part was too small to fit the mags into so this was removed and rebuilt using styrene rod for some added detail on the sides. Also the shield support at the top had the plastic removed to make it free standing/hanging

IMG_0143.JPGIMG_0147.JPG

I then added detail to the seat. It's the first time I have done this as I usually paint the detail on so we will have to wait and see how this method turns out once painted and washed

IMG_0145.JPG

I ordered up another barrel from Evilbay and the day it arrived the other one turned up too:rolling:. When I built the Flakveiring last year I ordered up the wrong barrels - Flak 38 L/50. I have now built the Flak 30, 38 and Flakveirling and none of the L/50 barrels fit as they are so short. Does anyone know which Flak unit they are supposed to be for please?

IMG_0138.JPG

So then, hands up who can drill a perfectly centred hole for the barrel attachment to fit into? Yeah me neither:smiling2: So I cut it off and welded it on with CA glue and let it dry for a day

IMG_0146.JPG

At the start of the build I decided to scratch build all the shields. So here is the first one covering the front of the barrel

IMG_0148.JPG

In the mean time I have got my man Friday working on the springs for the Opel:smiling5:

IMG_0151.JPG

(For laughter purposes only)

Thanks for all your help and input

Steve

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow Steve !
Your modelling is certainly growing in detailing, artistic stuff. The only person who would drill out a perfectly centred hole is your mentor, aka The Lord of the Dark side. He would probably do this in his sleep while working out something to do with pewter.
Talking of that, where is yours on this ? :smiling2:
JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Dont tell the Dark Lord but I have gone over to foil now. So my sheet of pewter is being used as much as yours now:smiling5:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve .
Oh...........cue the music " there will be trouble ahead " He will not be impressed.

I'll have you know I used my Pewter on the StuG, ! One a year is quite enought excitement ! P
JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Coming on a treat. Loads of extra detail is becoming the norm for your builds.
Jim